Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012
Westminster College's fraternities and sororities raised over $17,000 in money and Student Government Association (SGA) collected more than 51,000 food, clothing, toys, and other items during Greek Week 2012.
Penny Wars resulted in a $16,433 donation to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in honor of Claire Hartner, daughter of Eric and Kelly Hartner, Westminster enterprise network manager.
According to Camille Hawthorne, associate dean of student affairs, a generous donation came from off campus. "PennStar Federal Credit Union and Fidelity Courier Services assisted us with counting all of the coins and donated $250."
Throughout the week, Westminster's SGA Service Committee collected over 51,000 food, clothing, and hygiene items and toys for the Lawrence County Community Action Partnership in New Castle. The drive was organized by SGA Service Chair Leah Hunter.
The sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority collected donations at "Sing 'n Swing." According to Hawthorne, the crowd was generous in their giving, with a gift of $500 going to the Richard J. Sentner Family Trust and $600 to Royal Family Kids' Camp to cover the cost of two campers.
"Sing 'n Swing" also included awards to fraternities, sororities, and individuals:
• Scott Renninger Service Award for outstanding service to Greeks - Molly Spinney, associate professor and head librarian
• Greek Adviser of the Year - Jonathan Smith, web services coordinator and adviser to Phi Kappa Tau fraternity
• Scholarship award - Sigma Kappa sorority with a 3.483 grade point average and Theta Chi fraternity with 3.213 grade point average
• Spirit award - Sigma Kappa sorority and Phi Kappa Tau fraternity
• Sportsmanship award - Kappa Delta sorority and Sigma Nu fraternity
• Most Valuable Player award - Kazimiera Zippert and Nate Horgan
• Chairs Choice award - Kelly Gould and Milt Constantine
• Greek God and Goddess - Jared Palonis and Tyler Dever
• Sing 'n Swing winners - Kappa Delta sorority and Theta Chi fraternity
• Greek Week winners - Alpha Gamma Delta sorority and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity
Hawthorne was honored by the Greeks with flowers and a bracelet that held a charm from each fraternity and sorority in appreciation of her years of dedicated service to the organizations.
The week's activities were coordinated by Greek Week Chairs Marah Alouise and Scott Braden and assistant chairs Julian Martinez and Jenna Meighen.
Contact Hawthorne at (724) 946-7112 or email for additional information.