Skip to main content

Veterans and Military Service Members

Westminster College welcomes men and women who have served in our country's military services. Our counselors work with veterans, active duty personnel, reservists, and dependents to help ensure they receive maximum tuition benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense and Armed Forces.

Westminster College's traditional undergraduate, adult studies, and graduate programs are approved for GI education benefits and military tuition assistance by veterans, active duty personnel, or qualifying dependents. Westminster College participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.

Military Tuition Assistance Top-up

To be eligible you must be approved by your branch of the military and be eligible for Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty benefits. The amount is the same as the amount received through the Montgomery Bill but cannot exceed the cost of the course. If you are receiving a Tuition Assistance award your Montgomery GI Bill® benefit will be reduced. See your education services officer and submit a VA Form 22-1990 to your VA Regional Processing Office. For more information please visit

Individual military service branch websites provide information regarding how to apply for military tuition assistance. Please use the following links to check on your eligibility.

Montgomery GI Bill® and Other VA Programs is an excellent source for Veteran's information. You can easily navigate the site to find information regarding the various VA programs. Some of the programs included are the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30), Montgomery GI Bill® - Selective Reserve (Chapter 1606), Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31), the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP; Chapter 32) and other educational benefits for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA; Chapter 35). If you are a child of a member of the Armed Forces that died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001 you may be eligible for benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

To qualify for the Post-911 GI Bill® you must have at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001 or honorably discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001. Go to for additional information about the Post-911 program.

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program)

If you qualify for 100% of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program allows colleges and universities to enter into an agreement with the Veterans Affairs to fund tuition and fees. Therefore the student not only receives funds from the VA but the school will match the contribution by 50% of the difference after the cap. To qualify you must serve in an aggregate period of active duty of at least 36 months after September 10, 2001 and be honorably discharged. Or if you are a dependent of an eligible Service Member they can transfer their benefits to you. To check your eligibility or complete the Transfer of Entitlement form, please visit

To assist you in finding the VA program in which you qualify you can use the benefit comparison tool by clicking the following link: If you qualify for more than one program you must choose the program that suits your education needs.

The amount of tuition and fees, housing allowance and book stipend depend on the amount of time in which you have served.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Other Financial Aid

Once you receive notification of your specific VA Program, you may find that you still need additional funding for your education. At that point you may decide to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. This can be done at By entering the Westminster College Title IV code of 003392, a copy of your completed FAFSA form will be sent to our institution. We will in turn send you an email regarding your specific financial aid offer.

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans have fixed interest rates and are not awarded on the basis of need. Repayment begins six months after a student ceases to be enrolled at least half time. The student has ten years to repay the loan. You have an option of paying the interest while you are in school or deferring the loan until repayment. You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.

A graduate student may borrow up to $20,500 each academic year in Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. The maximum aggregate amount is currently $138,500. A graduate student may not have any more than $65,500 in total Subsidized Stafford Loan. The graduate debt limit includes any Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study.

Private Education College Loans

There are a number of privately funded loan programs that provide funds to credit worthy students. Most undergraduate students will need a qualified co-signer. Although the interest rates and terms may not be as generous as the Federal Loan programs, some students and their parents may be interested in this type of borrowing. Students are strongly encouraged to pursue the lower cost federal loans before private loans.

Below is a list of lenders that Westminster College students have chosen over the past three years. This list is not exclusive and any lender may be used even if they are not listed:

Private Lenders:

College Avenue
PA Forward
PNC Bank
Sallie Mae

Federal Credit Unions: 

Butler Armco Federal Credit Union
Clearview Federal Credit Union
Frankenmuth Federal Credit Union
Pennsylvania State Employees
Priority First Federal Credit Union
Utilities Federal Credit Union

The maximum amount of additional loan a student can borrow is the annual cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room, board books and personal expense allowance) less the financial aid the student is receiving for the academic year.

Readmission and Refund Policies Due to Service Obligations

If a student is called to military service during a semester, the student will be granted a leave of absence from the College and will not be penalized financially as a result. If the student chooses to withdraw from courses (academic record shows a “M” for all courses), tuition and fees will be refunded for the semester. If the student has completed sufficient work to qualify for incomplete grades as determined by the Registrar (academic record shows an “I” for all courses), the student may return at a future date to complete the courses with tuition and fees already paid. With either option, food and housing (if applicable) will be prorated on a percentage basis through the effective date of the leave of absence.

Students who take a leave of absence for service related reasons will be readmitted with the same academic status as he or she had when last attending or being admitted to Westminster College. State law requires colleges or universities to grant a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard or other reserve component of the armed forces or the member’s spouse a military leave of absence from their education if he or she is called to active duty (other than active duty for training). The grade transcript for all classes shall show an “M” or “Military” to indicate that the military member or his/her spouse was unable to complete courses because of military service. A grade of “M” is not counted in a student’s GPA.

How to Use Your GI Bill® Benefits and Military Tuition Assistance at Westminster College

  • Veterans Affairs requires a completed VA Form 22-1990, to apply for educational benefits under Chapter 30, Chapters 1606, Chapter 33, Chapter 35 and Chapter 31. The form can be completed online at the website.
  • Westminster applicants who are applying for or have already been approved for the Montgomery GI Bill® education benefits or military tuition assistance need to contact the Westminster College Financial Aid Office for assistance in using their benefits at (724)946-7102.