Skip to main content


Requirements for the Secondary Education (Minor)

Students beginning academic year 2014-2015 who plan to qualify for the secondary school teaching certificate declare a minor in secondary education during their freshman year or upon declaring a major. To this end they should consult with the Department of Education during their first year. For general academic purposes, students remain under the guidance of the department in which they are majoring.

Secondary Education Courses:

EDU 231 Educational Psychology
EDU 351 Reading in the Content Areas
EDU 451 Teaching in the Secondary School
EDU 452 Student Teaching and Seminar-Secondary
EDU 453 eight credits (For students completing two certification areas)
EDU 582‚Äď592 Field Experience√≥Secondary Education
ELL 206 English Language Learners
SED 201 Foundations of Special Education
SED 572 PreK-8 Special Education Field Experience III

And the following disciplinary requirements:

Mathematics (College-level), Six credits
English Composition and Literature, Six credits

And recommended elective courses include:

PSY 101 Introduction to General Psychology
PSY 221 Childhood and Adolescence OR PSY 281 Principles of Learning and Memory


What can you do with an Education degree?

Imagine yourself a preschool teacher, an elementary school teacher, a high school teacher, or a special education teacher in a public or private school.