In 2002, as Westminster College celebrated its 150th anniversary, the Board of Trustees took a serious look at the question of what it means to be a PC(USA) related college. As a result, the decision was made to offer up to 150 scholarships, worth $74,000 ($18,500 annually) for Academic Year 2015-2016, to outstanding PC(USA) students and offer them a way to continue to grow in faith and leadership while on our campus.
The scholarships are given to all PC(USA) churches to award to deserving students. Each congregation can select two students who meet the following qualifications:
- PC(USA) membership
- 3.5 (or higher) cumulative HSGPA
- Nomination by pastor/congregation by December 1
- December 1 - Pastor / Congregation Nomination
- December 15 - Student Application to the college
Our goal is to enhance the educational opportunities for young Presbyterians and build upon Westminster's historic ties to the church. The Young Presbyterian Scholars (YPS) Program empowers congregations to nominate up to two deserving students for a four-year, $74,000 scholarship to one of the nation's best liberal arts colleges.
The Mission of the YPS Program is to:
- Provide opportunities for personal and spiritual growth
- Mentor/partner with other students throughout the Program's course
- Study and discuss faith issues
- Develop and encourage leadership skills
It is the Program's goal to parallel the mission of Westminster College, which is to help men and women develop the competencies, commitments and characteristics which distinguish humanity at its best.
Rev. Jim MohrCollege Chaplain & Director Church Relations (724) 946-7116
Brad TokarDirector of Admissions (724) 946-7100
"Our Young Presbyterian Scholars (YPS) Program can be an important resource for your PC(USA) church by helping an outstanding student achieve his or her academic goals in addition to strengthening the historic ties between the church and Westminster College."
- President Richard H. Dorman