Westminster College’s Honors Program believes that the life of the mind is best cultivated when students take what they have learned in the classroom and go out into the world. That’s why our program builds international travel right into our exciting new sequence of interdisciplinary, team-taught global honors seminars with our trip to Greece. The Honors Core Sequence integrates a significant portion of the college’s general education requirements, including Writing, Speech and Inquiry, the cluster requirement, and at least four of the college’s seven required intellectual perspective courses.
The sequence is designed to build a scholarly community that intellectually challenges honors students, provides innovative learning opportunities, builds an advanced foundation for interdisciplinary and global inquiry, and provides advanced opportunities for oral and written communication.
Benefits of the Honors Program
- Honors designated housing
- Enhanced learning opportunities for students with excellent academic records, superior abilities, intellectual promise, and demonstrated initiative
- Curricular and co-curricular opportunities for building a sense of community
- Priority course registration to allow Honors Scholars the best opportunity to schedule their desired classes
- Enhanced student-printing privileges
- Special library privileges, e.g., semester-length checkout of books for Honors Seminar and Honors Research courses
- All-College Honors designation on transcripts and diploma
- Membership in the student honor society Omicron Kappa Sigma and planning of formal and informal events for Honors Scholars and the academic community at large
- Waiver of some registration overload fees.
- Leadership opportunities.
- Travel abroad grants.
- Peer mentoring.
The Honors Program in Photos