Advantage Westminster - Biological Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Biology at Westminster College. Increased student demand and post-graduate opportunities within the biological sciences have made us one of the largest departments on campus. We offer a broad range of majors and course offerings and are committed to providing students with opportunities that emphasize experiential learning while preparing students for a career in their chosen field of interest. We offer two majors, Biology and Molecular Biology, and two interdisciplinary majors, Environmental Science and Neuroscience. We also offer three minors, Biology, Molecular Biology, and Environmental Studies. Students who select one of our majors will benefit from the following experiences:
- small class sizes that enhace personal interaction with faculty and peers. For example, even our introductory courses are limited to 25 students per section, and the same faculty member who teaches the lecture also supervises the lab;
- a strong foundation in the areas of cell biology and genetics, anatomy and physiology, evolution, ecology and biodiversity, and applied biostatistics;
- advanced courses that allow students to focus on specific areas within the biological sciences and prepare for a career within a chosen field of interest.
- a senior Capstone research project that provides every student the opportunity to apply and hone information literacy and research skills, scientific writing skills, and problem-solving skills, in collaboration with a faculty advisor;
- numerous opportunities for experiential learning. Over 90% of our courses include a laboratory or field component, and a significant number of our students participate in summer internships and independent study projects;