Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Eleven members of Westminster College's Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) team participated in SIFE's national competition May 10-12 in Philadelphia.
The Philadelphia competition involved 140 regional champions. The Westminster team qualified by winning its regional event in Charlotte, N.C., in March. Westminster has won three straight regional championships.
SIFE adviser David Smith, Westminster assistant professor of accounting, accompanied the team. "While there were no trophies won in Philadelphia, the experience was tremendous," Smith said. "A large challenge for the team was just recognizing the level of the competition. Now, they understand better what it takes to win at the national level. SIFE's National Competition attracts many employers looking for the best and brightest, finding SIFE to be an excellent recruiting resource. Team members also had opportunities to meet members from other teams as well as members of the business community."
"By winning the third consecutive regional championship, every departing senior was undefeated at the regional level during their involvement with SIFE," Smith added. "In recognition of this achievement, each senior wore a SIFE honorary medallion for Commencement."
The competition involved team presentations highlighting each team's annual accomplishments. Westminster's community service projects included:
- Presentations to Westminster students, a community service organization, and neighboring high schools
- The production of an anti-piracy commercial
- Organization of a student consulting service for local businesses
- Completion of a business plan for a growing enterprise
- Winning a competition to design a product made from 100% recycled materials, including development of related market analysis, production, and marketing plans
- Organizing and running a stock market competition between teams representing several high schools
The presentation was directed by SIFE President Jacob Hagmaier, with team members Nathan Capello, Ashley Carnahan, Chelsea Dean, Vice President Jeff Downey, Treasurer Steven LaRue, Historian Jonathan Marlowe, Stephen Previs, Matthew Saines, Alicia Seitz, and Sydney Serjak.
Team members unable to attend were: Andrew Anthony, Cory Baker, Amanda Conway, Lindsay Drabik, Publicity Co-Chair Brooke Emmonds, Steven Fawcett, Jordan Flaim, Travis Gulling, Leigha Krivacek, Jacquelin Linville, Sarah Ortz, and Secretary Kyle Pierce.
Contact Smith at (724) 946-7161 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.