Skip to main content

Tuition & Financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid

Most graduate students use financial aid to pay for the program. We recommend that you complete these steps as soon as possible to make sure that your payment arrangements are in order by the first day of class. It is important to note that there are financial aid options available that are not based on need.

Please pay special attention to the following:

  • Students who are not enrolled in a degree program will not be eligible for financial aid.
  • Transferring credits in and/or sitting out for a course may affect your financial aid eligibility for that term.
  • Students who have already received a master’s degree in the same discipline are not eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans.


How to Apply for Financial Aid

Step 1: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at for the academic year in which you plan to attend.

You will need the following items:

  • Your Federal Income Tax Return for the year prior to the semester in which you would like to attend. (e.g., for attendance in the 2023-24 academic year, you will need your 2021 income tax return)
  • Your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID and password
  • Westminster College’s School Code (003392)

Graduate students are considered independent for financial aid purposes. In order to receive a Financial Aid offer, the FAFSA form must be completed each year.

STEP 2: Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) for accuracy.

You will receive this information 7-10 days after the FAFSA is submitted from the Department of Education via email. If there are any errors on your SAR, log back into your FAFSA to make the necessary corrections.

STEP 3: You will receive an email regarding your financial aid from Westminster College once you have been academically accepted and enrolled in courses.

This email provides instructions on how to log in to my.westminster in order to review and accept your financial aid offer. The instructions are also provided below for your convenience. You must accept and submit the package in my.westminster before your aid can be processed. If you wish to decline all or a portion of any award(s), email the Financial Aid Office at

To sign your financial aid offer electronically:

  • Go to
  • Log in using your my.westminster login name and password
  • Select the FINANCES tab
  • Click on the link listed beneath FINANCIAL AID
  • For security purposes, please enter your student user name ( and password. Click the SIGN IN button and the STUDENT FINANCIAL AID (NetPartner) screen appears

Carefully read the instructions on the home screen.

When you choose AWARDS from the menu dropdown for the first time, you will need to read and agree to the “Terms and Conditions” before you can view your financial aid.

If you cannot view your awards after agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, you may be missing some necessary documentation to complete the financial aid process. Please choose DOCUMENTS to view and complete this missing paperwork. If all items on this page are listed as received, please contact the Financial Aid office at 724-946-7102 for further assistance.

If you are able to see your financial aid offers, you will need to accept the aid you wish to receive. If you want to decline any aid that is listed, choose DECLINE from the drop down boxes next to your awards. Once you have accepted/declined your awards, please click on the SUBMIT button.

STEP 4: Complete Loan Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (if applicable).

Entrance Counseling is only required for first-time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers, however, all borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note. Both can be completed at (you will need your FSA ID and password from Step 1). Please be aware that the borrower is responsible for paying interest on the loan while in school.

Federal Loan Requirements

To be eligible to borrow funds under the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, you must:

  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
  • Not be in default on prior educational loans.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) in a semester.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in a degree-seeking program.

Step 5: Loan Certification and Posting

Once you have completed ALL the steps listed above, the Financial Aid Office will process your Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. After the loan is certified and a disbursement date is determined, the loan will be applied to your student account. Financial Aid cannot be disbursed until 7 days before the beginning of the term.


Direct Graduate Plus Loans

If you need additional loan funds to assist in paying for your overall educational expenses not covered by the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, you may apply for a Direct Graduate Plus Loan, which is a federal loan. An approved Graduate Plus Loan application and Graduate Plus Master Promissory Note are required before a student can receive this type of loan. To complete a Graduate Plus Loan application and Master Promissory Note, go to


Private Education College Loans

There are a number of privately funded loan programs that provide funds to credit worthy students. Most undergraduate students will need a qualified co-signer. Although the interest rates and terms may not be as generous as the Federal Loan programs, some students and their parents may be interested in this type of borrowing. Students are strongly encouraged to pursue the lower cost federal loans before private loans.

Below is a list of lenders that Westminster College students have chosen over the past three years. This list is not exclusive and any lender may be used even if they are not listed:

Private Lenders:

College Avenue
PA Forward
PNC Bank
Sallie Mae

Federal Credit Unions: 

Butler Armco Federal Credit Union
Clearview Federal Credit Union
Frankenmuth Federal Credit Union
Pennsylvania State Employees
Priority First Federal Credit Union
Utilities Federal Credit Union

The maximum amount of additional loan a student can borrow is the annual cost of attendance (tuition, fees, books and personal expense allowance) less the financial aid the student is receiving for the academic year.

Loan Proceeds Greater Than Billed Charges:

If your federal loan proceeds exceed the amount of charges on your student account, the College is required, by federal regulation, to refund the money to you. A check will be cut and sent to your permanent address on record with the College.

If you are signed up for e-refund on Transact Integrated Payments, your refund will be deposited into the account you have set up.

If you would like to retain these excess funds on your student account, you may countersign and return the check to the College. The endorsement on the check should read as follows:

“Pay to Westminster College”
Your Signature

Mail the enclosed check to:

Westminster College
319 South Market Street
New Wilmington, PA 16172
Attn: Business Office


The Federal (Title 1) Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program

If you and your school qualify, this program may provide loan forgiveness for eligible Federal Stafford Loans. This is a separate program requiring separate forms and processes. The U.S. Department of Education will determine your eligibility for this program; Westminster College is not responsible to verify your eligibility. Please do not base your enrollment on this program, as it can be difficult to ensure qualification for government programs which are subject to reform and funding changes.

You must call 1-800-4-FED-AID to verify your eligibility