Dr. Zullo is an Associate Professor in the School of Business and the Program Coordinator for the Sports Management major/minor at Westminster College. He comes to New Wilmington after teaching at Seton Hill University, James Madison University and Mississippi State University. Dr. Zullo previously worked in intercollegiate athletics at the University of Georgia, Virginia Tech, and the University of North Carolina. He started his career in intercollegiate athletic administration through experiences with the University of Virginia Athletic Department and the Virginia Military Institute. He also worked the 1999 United States Open Golf Championship in Pinehurst, North Carolina. Along with Dr. Erianne Weight from the University of North Carolina, he co-authored a texbook on college sports titled Administration of Intercollegiate Athletics, published by Human Kinetics, a leading publisher in the sports management field.
Dr. Zullo personally advises the students in the sports management program. His students have found great success in the sports business industry enjoying employment at such places as the LPGA, NHL's Florida Panthers, NHL's San Jose Sharks, MLB's Philadelphia Phillies, MLB's KC Royals, MLB's Cleveland Indians, NBA's Brooklyn Nets, MLS's Columbus Crew, NFL's Miami Dolphins, NFL's Atlanta Falcons, Duquesne Athletics, Western Kentucky Athletics, Coker College Athletics, Penn Athletics (Aspire Group), Utah Athletics, Mississippi State Athletics, Georgia Athletics, Winthrop Athletics, Georgia State Athletics, Wake Forest Athletics, Missouri Athletics, West Alabama Athletics, Fairfield Athletics, Richmond Athletics, South Alabama Athletics, James Madison Athletics, Villanova Athletics (Legends Global Sales), South Carolina Athletics, Virginia Wesleyan Athletics, MMA, USA Rugby, NCAA, Genesco Sports Enterprises, Memphis Redbirds, Aberdeen IronBirds, Hagerstown Suns, Pocono Motor Speedway, Joe Gibbs Racing, KHI Management, Mossy Oak, Seven Springs Resort, Colonnade Group, Tough Mudder, Tailgate Guys, and coaching in intercollegiate football (Austin Peay & Auburn), baseball (Chatham, Wheeling Jesuit, Penn State Erie, Oberlin & Thiel), lacrosse (Seton Hill), basketball (Fordham), golf (West Virginia), field hockey (SUNY Brockport ), soccer (Robert Morris University, UNC Asheville & Thiel College) and track (Glenville State & Chatham), among others, as well as the fitness sector and golf industry.
Students have also attended such graduate schools as Penn State University, William & Mary, Ohio University, Florida State University, Seton Hill University, University of Georgia, Baylor School of Law, Michigan State School of Law, West Virginia University, Mississippi State University, University of South Carolina, Western Kentucky University, Boston College, Oklahoma University, Louisiana State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, Georgia State University, Bethany College, IUP (PA), Ithaca College, Defiance College, Alfred University, Cal (PA), Westminster College and Youngstown State University among others.
Two of his past students earned recognition at the 2017 Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference as both outstanding student of the year and community service award. Three recent Westminster College graduates have also earned recognition at this conference (2018: Chelsea Gregley - outstanding research, 2020: Tyler Barnot - community service award, 2020: Ricky Roth - outstanding student of the year). He has has also served on honors research committees and mentored the first Westminster College Research Fellow in Sports Management in summer 2020. Additionally, he has has earned two service learning grants from Westminster College. The first support the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes Westminster and the second enabled sports management students to work the 2021 NCAA Division III Men's Golf Championship at Oglebay Resort.
Active in the community, Dr. Zullo is a supporter of the United Way, Blackburn Center Against Domestic Violence, Relay for Life, Make-A-Wish, Special Olympics, Boys & Girls Club and many other philanthropic organizations. He is or has been a member of AMA, NASSM, NACMA and NIRSA, currently serves on the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference planning committee and is excited to be in the New.Wilmington community. He is married to Ashley and together they have one son, Cameron.
PhD, University of Georgia
MA, University of North Carolina
BA, University of Virginia
- Zullo, R.H. (May 2021). NCAA Division III intercollegiate athletics corporate aponsorships: A systems theory approach. The Journal of Physical Education and Sport.
- Zullo, R. H. (September 2018). Sports marketing and publicity efforts in Division II intercollegiate athletics. The Sports Journal. [More Information]
- Weight, E.A. & Zullo, R. H. (January 2015). Administration of Intercollegiate Athletics. Human Kinetics. [More Information]
- Zullo, R. H., Burden, W. & Li, M. (February 2014). Outsourced marketing in NCAA Division I Institutions: The companies’ perspectives. The Sports Journal. [More Information]
- Zullo, R. H. (Fall 2013). Future trends in outsourced marketing within Division I intercollegiate athletics. Journal of Applied Sport Management, (5)3, 24-54. [More Information]
- Zullo, R. H. (Fall 2013). Restricted sponsorships and outsourced marketing in Division I intercollegiate athletics. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, (7)3, 1-18. [More Information]
- Zullo, R. H. and Ridpath, B. R. (Fall 2009). Gender as an indicator of academic progress and graduation for NCAA Division I athletes. Academic Athletic Journal for N4A.
Industry Publications or Recognition
- Zullo, R. H. (February/March 2011). On-field Fantasy. Athletic Management, (23)2. [More Information]
- Zullo, R. H. (June 2008). From the NACMA Corner: Making Academia Your Friend. Athletics Administration. 43(3).
- Zullo, R. H. (August/September 2005). The Right Moves. Athletic Management, (17)5. [More Information]
- Johnson, K. (Febuary 2005). A Marketing Slam Dunk. Sports Business Journal. [More Information]
- His research on athletic endowment programs (2006, Vol. 43 No. 14) and outsourced sports marketing (2005, Vol. 42, No. 23) has been featured in the NCAA News publication.
- Westminster College: Titan Above-and-Beyond Customer Service Award (March 2019)
- Seton Hill University nominee for Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Faculty Mentor Award (Nominated for 2013-14)
- Mississippi State University nominee for national new faculty advising award presented by the National Academic Advising Association - NACADA (Nomination by MSU earned Spring 2008)
- Irwin Atly Jeffcoat Excellence in Advising award at Mississippi State University (Nomination by Kinesiology Department earned Spring 2008)
- Special Olympics regional Volunteer of the Year – Spring 2008 (nomination based on successful events held on the campus of Mississippi State University and in conjunction with the stellar student support)
- Who’s Who Among American Teachers & Educators (Nomination earned Summer 2007)
NIRSA - National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association [More Information]
NASSM - North American Society for Sports Management [More Information]
NACMA - National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators [More Information]
AMA - American Marketing Association
- Zullo, R. H. (2021, April). A Content Analysis of Athletic Websites of Members of the Division III Presidents' Athletic Conference. Presented at the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference.
- Zullo, R. H. (2021, March). Corporate Sponsorships in Division III Intercollegiate Athletics: A Pilot Study & Systems Theory. Presented at the College Sports Research Institute Conference.
- Zullo, R. H. (2021, February). A Content Analysis of Division III Athletic Websites in Pennsylvania. Presented at the Applied Sport Management Association Conference.
- Zullo, R. H. (2021, February). ESPN College GameDay & Adapting to a Global Pandemic (an industry profile). Presented at the Applied Sport Management Association Conference.
- Zullo, R. H., Chatman, L. T. & Reed, N. J. (2019, April). Beyond Sports - Impacting the Community: Strengthening the Division III Student-Athlete Community Through Career Center Best Practices. Presented at the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference, Indiana, PA.
- Zullo, R. H., Hart, K. J. & Roth, F. A. (2019, April). Beyond Sports - Impacting the Community: Break Out the Red Heels – Sports Management Students Plan and Implement a Community Walk Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. Presented at the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference, Indiana, PA.
- Zullo, R. H., Hart, K. J. & Lauster, T. M. (2018, April). Conquering the Challenges of Our Future – A Content Analysis of Division II Athletic Department Websites in Pennsylvania. Presented at the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference, Indiana, PA.
- Zullo, R. H., Dublin, Z. D., & Henderson, B. C. (2018, April). Conquering the Challenges of Our Future – Declining Intramural Participation. Poster presentation at the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference, Indiana, PA.
- Zullo, R. H. (2017, June). Curriculum-based Career Readiness Plan. Presented at the Teaching & Learning Fair at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Denver, CO.
- Zullo, R.H. (2017, April). Sports Marketing in Division II Athletics. Presented at the College Sports Research Institute Conference, Columbia, SC.
- Zullo, R.H. (2015, February). Football 101 for women: sociology of sports between the tackles. Presented at the Southern Sport Management Conference, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Zullo, R. H. (2014, May). Swishes for wishes & swings for wishes: community capstones. Presented at the Teaching & Learning Fair at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Zullo, R. H. (2014, March). Head football coach searches: Examining the process from the eyes of a former athletic administrator turned faculty. Presented at the Diversity in Intercollegiate Athletics Conference, Fort Collins, CO.
- Zullo, R. H. (2014, March). Centerfolds: A public relations campaign to help eradicate domestic violence through a joint partnership between sport management, student-athletes and other campus entities. Presented at the Southern Sport Management Conference, Nashville, TN.
- Zullo, R. H. (2013, May). Powder Puff & the sociology of sport. Poster presented at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Austin, TX.
- Zullo, R. H. (2013, March). Enhancing intramurals through exclusive collaborations with non-profit organizations. Presented at the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Zullo, R. H. (2012, March). Developing intramural sports via community service learning in the classroom. Poster presented at the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Zullo, R. H. (2011, June). Bridging the Gap Between Athletics and Education – Creating a Win-Win Partnership. Invited presentation at the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators Convention, Orlando, FL.
- Zullo, R. H. (2011, April). Living United – Partnering Up with the United Way in Introduction to Sport Management. Presented at Teaching & Learning Fair at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Ontario, Canada.
- Zullo, R. H. (2011, April). Uniting with Sports Management Program for Win-win Collaborations. Invited presentation at the National Association of Sports Commission Symposium, Greensboro, NC.
- Zullo, R. H. (2010, April). American Outsourcing Idol – how to teach intercollegiate marketing and sales. Presented at the College Sports Research Institute Conference, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Zullo, R. H. & Osborne, B. (2010, January). Title IX implications on outsourced marketing in Division I intercollegiate athletics. Presented at the National Collegiate Athletic Association Convention Scholarly Colloquium, Atlanta, GA.
- Zullo, R. H. (2009, June). Utilization of Fan Surveys – Case Studies and Applications. Invited presentation at the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators Convention, Orlando, FL.
- Zullo, R. H. (2009, February). Division I-A Football Scheduling as a Revenue Stream and Publicity Tool. Presented at the College Sports Research Institute Conference, Chapel Hill, NC. Deferred presentation until April 2010.
- Miller, L., Bell, D. & Zullo, R. H. (2008, February). Offering a Distance Education Sport Law course: Suggestions for Success. Presented at the Conference on Sport, Physical Activity, Recreation and Law hosted by Sport and Recreation Law Association, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Zullo, R. H. (2007, June). Endowment programs in Division I intercollegiate athletics. Presented at North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Miami, FL.
- Zullo, R. H. (2007, March). Social implications of outsourcing marketing in intercollegiate athletics. Invited presentation at the Girls and Women Rock: 35 Years of Sport and Title IX Academic Conference in collaboration with 2007 NCAA Women’s Final Four, Cleveland, OH.
- Zullo, R. H. (2006, November). Corporate naming rights in Division I-A intercollegiate athletics. Presented as feature presentation at the International Conference of Sport & Entertainment Business, Columbia, SC.
- Zullo, R. H. (2006, October). Minority sentiments on NASCAR from the Atlanta metropolitan area. Presented at the Florida State Sport Management Conference, Tallahassee, FL.
- Zullo, R. H. (2006, April). Sociological implications of the outsourced marketing relationship. Presented at the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance conference in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Zullo, R. H. (2005, November). Division I outsourced marketing: The outsourced marketing companies’ perspective. Presented at the Sport Marketing Association Conference, Tempe, AZ.
- Zullo, R. H. (2004, November). Outsourced marketing within the 117 Division I-A schools in intercollegiate athletics: The schools’ perspective. Presented at the Sport Marketing Association Conference, Memphis, TN.
- Zullo, R. H. (2003, Fall). Outsourced marketing versus in-house marketing in intercollegiate athletics within the seven major Division I-A conferences. Presented at the International Conference of Sport & Entertainment Business, Columbia, SC.
- Zullo, R. H. (2002, June). Marketing Olympic Sports. Presented at the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators Convention, Dallas, TX.
Mississippi Governor’s School for Elite High School Students Columbus, MS. (Summer 2006) Taught the principles of sports business to 14 high school students from Mississippi. Students designed and implemented a Frisbee Golf Tournament for charity including sponsorship solicitation, media coverage, risk management issues, publicity, event management, sociological implications and more. The event raised over $400 for the local Boys & Girls Club. [More Information]
PADI Open Water - Scuba diving [More Information]
- Journal of Intercollegiate Sport reviwerr (peer reviewed publication)
- Former “Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics” manuscript reviewer (peer-reviewed publication) [More Information]
- “Journal of Sports Media” manuscript reviewer (peer-reviewed publication) [More information]
- Former "Journal of Applied Sport Management" formerly “Journal of Sport Admin and Supervision” manuscript reviewer (peer-reviewed publication) [More Information]