Health Professions Advising
The Health Professions Advisor on campus provides developmentally appropriate advising and career information to any Westminster College student considering a career as a health professional, including, but not limited to, Allopathic Medicine (MD), Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Podiatry, Optometry, Physician Assistant (PA), or Physical Therapy (PT). General advising over the first two years at Westminster transitions into more specific guidance by the junior year when students commit to pursuing their programs of choice.
The responsibilities of the health professions advisor in service of Westminster College students are as follows:
- To hold regular group meetings with students based on their chosen career path and the stage of their academic progress. For example, meetings with first year students are generally informative and those for upper level students who have made the decision to apply to medical school are more specific
- To be available for personal and confidential meetings with pre-health students by appointment to discuss course selection and career program options. To this end, an honest and realistic assessment of a student’s academic progress and performance is typically part of any discussion.
- To serve as Chair of the Medical Professions Advisory Committee (MedPAC), consisting of eight full time faculty from various disciplines on campus. Committee members evaluate applicant folders and determine levels of recommendation for committee letters of recommendation that are essential components of professional school applications.
- To maintain membership in the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP) in order to remain current with best practices and interact with Admissions personnel from national and international professional schools. This includes attending the National Meeting most recently held in Washington, D.C in June 2018 and virtually in June 2020.
- To curate a resource library for students intending to apply to Allopathic Medicine (MD), Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Podiatry, Physician’s Assistant (PA), Physical Therapy (PT), Chiropractic or Pharmacy programs.
- To organize on campus and off campus visits with practitioners and admissions staff from various regional professional schools.
- To assist with the application process including feedback on written personal statements and mock interviews.
Westminster’s curriculum and advising program have been highly successful in helping students gain admittance to medical, dental and other health science programs.
Contact the Chair