Meg Rankin Memorial
Earth Day 5k Run/Walk


Race 1Race 2

Saturday, April 30th 2011
9:00 AM
Westminster College Field House



Sponsored by the Sierra Student Coalition of Westminster College



The Meg Rankin Memorial Earth Day 5k Run/Walk was created to bring together college students and members of the community to enjoy our beautiful campus and to do something for the good of the environment. ALL benefits from this event will be used to assist the Field Station with a variety of activities. 80% of the proceeds will be used to fund an environmental education summer camp for underprivileged children in the Eastern Ohio/Western Pennsylvania area. The remaining 20% of the proceeds will be used for enhancing the natural beauty and environmental workings of the Field Station.



About the Race



Starting and Ending Location: The race begins and ends in the field adjacent to the Westminster College Field House (Located on WC's main campus).

Race Description: This 3.1 mile race starts in the field adjacent to the Field House. Participants will race around Brittain Lake and the soccer field. Participants will then enter the woods at the biology trail entrance. They will then circle around the Sandy Edmiston Memorial Labyrinth and past the compost piles at the Field Station. Participants will then re-enter the woods, come out and loop around Brittain Lake again, and then finish at the Field House.  



**NEW FOR 2011: Children's Race and Festivities!**



New for 2011, the Meg Rankin Memorial Earth Day 5k will also include a children's race before the main race begins. Children 12 and under will have the opportunity to participate in a 200 meter run on a flat, grassy surface. ALL children will receive an Earth Day ribbon! After the run, all children will have the opportunity to work on crafts and play games while the adults run. These crafts include decorating a pot and planting a bean seed, coloring, and designing a leaf for our make-a-difference tree. Fun for children of all ages!



Race Registration

Click here to download a registration form for both the 5k and/or the children's race.

Please complete the form and mail, with payment, to:

2011 Earth Day 5k
Box 589
Westminster College
New Wilmington, PA. 16172

Registration forms may also be emailed to treshocl-at-westminster.edu and payment may be brought the day of the race. You will still receive the pre-registered rate if you choose this option. 

Suggested donations:
  • $5.00 for pre-registered students (before April 30th)
  • $7.00 for pre-registered members of the community (before April 30th)
  • $7.00 for students registering the day of the race
  • $10.00 for community members registering the day of the race
  • $3.00 for children registering for the children's race (regardless of registration date) Note: Children's race is for children age 12 and under only.



Awards

Awards will be given for the top 3 overall men and top 3 overall women finishers. Awards will also be given for the top 3 female and top 3 male finishers in these age categories:
  • 13-14 years old
  • 15-18 years old
  • 19-29 years old
  • 30-50 years old
  • 50 and above 
All children who participate in the children's race will receive an Earth Day ribbon!





                                Race Registration Form                            







The Sierra Student Coalition is a student-led organization comprised of members, mostly students, of the Westminster Community with the objective of collectively working to cultivate a position interaction between the College and the natural world. The group works to achieve this objective through efforts to increase environmental literacy and awareness through the campus, community, and curriculum; through efforts to encourage appreciation of the environment through direct interaction between the SSC and the natural world; and through efforts to alleviate the impact of the campus and the community on the natural cycle that maintains the beauty and habitability of the Earth.

SSC logo