My experience owning and managing my own business allows me to bring the critical element of reality to my classroom and to share with students what it takes to be successful.
Owner/Operator Drove Pasture Farm, Mercer, PA
- Manage all financial, operational, environmental and marketing aspects of 300 acre crop and beef farm.
- Crops produced: hay silage, corn silage, baled hay, baled straw, ear corn, shelled corn, oats, wheat, speltz, rye.
- Cattle: Angus/Hereford brood cows with calves, Piedmontese breeding bull, Holstein steers.
- Machinery and Equipment maintained: tractors, trucks, tillage implements, hay implements, wagons, combine, skid steer, speaders, mowers, sprayers, elevators, etc.
- Involved in agricultural education and awareness through hosting student and adult groups, including international graduate students from Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh.
- Practice and lecture on sustainable agriculture.
- Educate children and youth about safer farming practices at Penn State Cooperative Extension Farm Safety Days.