Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer
essays in your quizzes.
Willard Oxtoby's "Personal Invitation" (available as a handout on My.Westminster):
- How was religion once viewed?
- What happened in 1979?
- How was this relevant to this course?
- What do we need to take into account in order to understand the modern world?
- How does Oxtoby view his mandate in inviting us to share his fascination with religion?
- How has religion been considered by some? As opposed to what? Which view is supported by the evidence?
- What do many who hold a largely positive view of religion assert?
- What kind of view of religion was dominant before the modern era?
- What is one of the abiding issues in the academic study of religion?
- With what does the study of religion wrestle perpetually?
- What did Rudolf Otto say about religious experience?
- What has the secularization of older institutions and the founding of new secular ones meant for the study of religion?
- In what has the contact and comparison of religions resulted?
- What does Oxtoby hope to do in his descriptions of religions?
- Is Islam an Eastern or Western religion?
- How does Oxtoby describe Prophecy?
- With what has prophecy been contrasted in the past?
- What has gone along with Christianity’s influence?
- What is it that distant traditions often express in exotic vocabularies?
- With what must one soon deal in the rich fund of information about religions?
- What is “transliteration?”
- What are “Ashkenazic” and “Sephardic”?
- What is “Farsi”?
- Who was Ferdowsi?
- What are diacritics?
- What is meant by the abbreviations B.C.E. and C.E.?
- What does “hagiographical” mean?
- Who is Sakyamuni?
- What does Oxtoby indicate by using the present tense?