Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 30 - 45:
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
- What are the Greek, Egyptian, and Mesopotamian single word equivalents to the term religion? (*)
- What happened when Christians co-opted the term religio in the fourth century CE? (*)
- What did the Theodosian code do?
- Which is the only ancient tradition to identify itself the specific founder?
- What three basic types of community existed in the ancient world? How were they organized?
- Where was the land where Judaism and Christianity emerged "not coincidentally" located?
- When did both Judaism and Christianity approach their definitive forms?
- Who were the Akkadians, Amorites, Assyrians, and Arameans?
- What are the origin and meaning of the term pagan?
- What does Gobekli Tepe represent? (Please note the correct spelling.)
- When was Catalhoyuk inhabited?
- Was Catalhoyuk ritual center or center of production?
- What religious dimensions do Gobekli Tepe, Catalhoyuk, and ‘Ain Ghazal reflect?
- Who were the supreme gods of Mesopotamia and Canaan?
- What two elements familiar from the Genesis narrative can be found in the epic of Gilgamesh? (*)
- What was done to both Alexander the great and Augustus Caesar?
- Who were Ma’at and Isfet?
- Who were the Nabateans and how did they represent their god? (*)
- What was melammu?
- What did Hittites, Babylonians, Greeks, and Romans all believe about the gods?
- What are cosmogony, cosmology, theogony, and the theodicy?
- How did Ptah create the world?
- What is the Enuma Elish and when was it composed?
- How did Marduk fashion the universe?
- Who was Ninti and what was her duty?
- What were Egypt's temples as well as the homes of particular gods?
- How did both Egyptian and classical Greek mythology regard humanity?
- Who was Enlil and what did he do in response to the din of humanity?
- Nothing so effectively legitimizes a ruler as what?
- Who was Thoth and what did he announce?
- Whose cult was introduced into Rome from Greece in 204 BCE?