Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer
essays in your quizzes.
Pages 113 - 127:
- Where did the Sephardim and Ashkenazim come from? (*)
- Are North American Jews chiefly Sephardic or Ashkenazic? (*)
- Are Jews in Israel chiefly Sephardic or Ashkenazic? (*)
- How should Biblical passages which appear to be irrational be interpreted according to Saadia?
- When did Toledo, Spain, come under Christian control?
- What is meant by the nezah Yisrael? (*)
- Who was "Rambam?"
- Who were the Almohads, and when did they take control of Spain?
- In what language was Maimonides’ Guide for the Perplexed written?
- What Greek philosoper was well known to Maimonides and influenced his own religion?
- What did the story of Adam and Eve mark for the rabbis?
- What philosophical problem occupied both Jewish and Arabic philosophers and intellectuals in this period?
- What did Maimonides (and other philosophers) mean by "accidental?"
- What is the final end of studying the law (Torah) for those who follow Maimonides’ thought?
- What was Maimonides great accomplishment (according to Segal)?
- Did all Jews adopt Maimonides’ thought?
- What is the Reconquista?
- What is meant by the kavod?
- What is the earliest and longest phase of Jewish mysticism? (*)
- What was most responsible for the decline of this form of mysticism? (*)
- What is the Zohar?
- What has sexual intercourse to do with Kabbalistic mysticism? (*)
- How did God begin the creation according to Isaac Luria?
- What is meant by tikkun?
- Why should the year 1666CE "trigger millennialist expectations?"
- Who was the Baal Shem Tov?
- What is a zaddik?
- Who are the Lubavitcher Hasidim?