Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 107 - 113:
- Who was Rashi and how was this name derived?
- What was the Torah before it became the religious law of rabbinic Judaism?
- What is the Jewish answer to the question of abortion?
- Do Hebrew dietary rules have medical value?
- What was the purpose of total immersion baptism in the mikveh, or ritual bathhouse?
- What is Yom Kippur?
- Do Jews believe that the correct performance of rites guarantees atonement with God?
- What are the four stages of repentance?
- Does rabbinic Judaism have any place for divine grace?
- How does Segal characterize rabbinic law?
- How many mitzvot (commandments) were traditionally thought to have been given at Sinai?
- What is "associationism" according to Jews and Muslims?
- Do Jews accept converts?