Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 98 - 111:
- What is the significance of the ninth day of the Jewish month of Av?
- What tends to be true because of the centrality of Torah study?
- What is said to be the first commandment in the Bible?
- When did Judea become a Roman province?
- What are the six “orders” into which the Mishnah is divided? When was this written?
- Who were the Sassanids and the Parthians? What was their religion? (*)
- When does the Jewish day begin? Hence, when does the Sabbath begin?
- Where did most Jews reside by the end of the seventh century of the Christian era?
- Who were the Mizrahim, Sephardim, and Ashkenazim?
- Why did many Jews flee from Spain after the eighth century?
- What did Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain command of their Jewish population?
- What is Ladino and why is it associated with Turkey?