Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 98 - 107:
- With what is the fall of Jerusalem in 70 CE comparable? Why?
- What happened in 132-5 CE?
- What vanished from Jewish life at that time? (*)
- Whose traditions became the base of rabbinic Judaism? (*)
- Who was Jochanan ben Zakkai?
- What is a yeshiva?
- What was concluded about the status of the Temple and what other means of reconciliation with God was recognized?
- What was the new locus of public worship?
- When may synagogues have first come into being?
- From what time do we have actual archeological evidence of synagogue ruins?
- What is a menorah?
- What is the Magen David?
- What was found at Dura-Europos in northeastern Syria?
- How is God often depicted in synagogue art?
- Of what does the destruction of the Temple in 70CE mark the beginning?
- When was the Torah (Law completed?
- What is presented as the fundamental message of the Jewish law and prophets?
- On what did the Rabbis at Yavneh decide in about 90CE?
- What is the source of the name of the Hebrew Bible, the Tanakh? (*)
- What are the Midrash?
- Who was Lilith, according to the Midrash?
- According to rabbinic exegesis (that is, explanation of a text), do Biblical passages have a single authoritative interpretation?
- What are the Mishnah and the Talmud? (*)
- What was the Pharisees’ pretext for taking over the reins of government from the priests?
- What are the two gemarah? Where do they come from? (*)
- What is Aramaic?
- Which Talmud became the more authoritative for the Jewish community as a whole?
- What is the distinction between halakah and agadah?
- Where was the center of intellectual Jewish life from the fourth to the ninth centuries CE?
- Who was the gaon?
- Who were the Karaites?