Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer
essays in your quizzes.
Pages 83 - 91:
- Whereabouts in the Bible is the first covenant described? Between whom is this covenant made? (*)
- What are known collectively as Shalosh Regalim?
- What is the Brit or Bris? Why two names?
- Why is the biblical book of Exodus called Shemot in Hebrew?
- To what can the origins of Shavuot be traced?
- What happened to those who took part in the worship of the golden calf according to the book of Exodus? How many were they?
- What is signified by the word “LORD” in English translations of the biblical text?
- What is the relation between the Hebrew word “Mashiach,” the English word “messiah,” and the Greek word “Christ”?
- What are “Samaritans”? How many of them exist in Israel today?
- What happened following the death of King Solomon? When was this?
- When was the first Temple, the temple built by Solomon in Jerusalem, destroyed?
- What important theological development was associated with the Exile in Babylon? (*)