Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer
essays in your quizzes.
Pages 77 - 90:
- What two migrations appear to be involved in the Israelite settlement of Canaan?
- How are these two migrations described in the Bible?
- How is the name of God represented in Biblical Hebrew?
- What does "the LORD" or "the Lord GOD" indicate in English translations?
- Where does the word "Jehovah" come from?
- What is the "Yam Suf" in the book of Exodus?
- How did Jewish people understand the Exodus story? (*)
- How do the books of Joshua and Judges differ in their depiction of the Israelite settlement of Canaan? (*)
- Who were the Philistines? (*)
- Why might David be called an "unlikely figure" to become King?
- How did the stories of Abraham and Jacob function?
- What appears to have been the connection between the kingship and the narratives? (*)
- What have modern Biblical commentators tended to ask? What does this make of discrepancies in the text?
- What evidence of two independent authors or sources of biblical material was first noticed by Jean Atruc?
- What are J, E, P, and D in terms of biblical analysis? (*)
- Why were detailed descriptions of the Jerusalem Temple so important to the authors of P?
- What Greek notion may have later played a role in the New Testament?
- Out of what does the prophetic tradition appear to have grown? (*)
- What is meant by "the literary prophets?" (*)
- To what do the writings of the prophets refer? (*)
- Upon what do the force of the writing of Hosea depend?
- What transition is marked by the Exile in Babylon? (*)
- What institution was born during the Exile? (*)
- What momentous event occurred in 538BCE?
- To what earlier event is the return from Exile likened?
- Zerubbabel was the last of what kind of king?
- To whom did the term "messiah" refer before the time of Zerubbabel? What did it come to mean later? (*)
- Why is the term yehudi, "Judean," said to be ambiguous?
- What notable achievement occurred in the second Commonwealth or post-Exilic period?