Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 324 – 344:
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
- In Maori tradition what are the whare pora?
- What is a key function of clothing?
- What is the white cloth traditionally woven by Bunu women used to do?
- The designs of many “spirit baskets” were the product of what?
- African masks are typically meant to do what?
- How is it that we can easily miss the meaning of certain critical elements in African masks?
- What is one unseen aspect of the African mask?
- What do most “totem” poles do?
- What is the distinction between men and women in respect of traditional moko Maori tattoos?
- Of what do these tattoos remind Maori people?
- Whereabouts do the majority of Indigenous people perform most of their rituals?
- What is the expected fate of traditional mbari shrines?
- To build a hogan is to reproduce what?
- To what does “colonialism” refer?
- What have often been the key factors driving colonialism?
- How many Indigenous people might have died by 1600 as a direct result of the arrival of Europeans?
- What did L. Frank Baum (the author of The Wizard of Oz) suggest to be the best way of securing the safety of frontier settlements?
- What happened at Wounded Knee?
- What proportion of Indigenous people identify with the colonial religion such as Christianity? What proportion continues to practice
- What is a potlatch?
- What did Maria Campbell suggest is still holding back progress of her own Indigenous people?
- How many distinct Aboriginal languages might Australia have once had? How many does it have today?
- What is meant by the “stolen generations?”
- What are the two central problems in the understanding that many non-Indigenous people have of Indigenous religions?
- What does the appropriation of Indigenous images help to do?
- What is impossible to underestimate about the Burning Man festival?