Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 282 – 292:
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
- How did Kemal Ataturk transform the state in Turkey?
- How did Ataturk's program perform?
- For what did Rashid Rida argue in his 1924 treatise on the Supreme Caliphate? Where was his plan implemented?
- What was the aim of the Muslim Brothers founded in 1928 by Hasan al-Bana?
- Who were Gamal Abdel Nasser, Anwar Sadat, and Hosni Mubarak?
- What do most contemporary Islamic revivalist movements reject as decadent Western values and practices?
- What happened in the Sudan in 1969? What were its results?
- Upon what did Ruhollah Khomeini (1901 - 1989) and his fellows build the Iranian Islamic Republic?
- What is the meaning of the title "ayat Allah" (="ayatollah")?
- What was odd about the 2009 Swiss ban on minarets on Mosques?
- What was true of the majority of people kidnapped from the coast of Senegal, Niger, and the Sudan as slaves?
- Who was Elijah Poole (1897 - 1975)? (*)
- Why do African-American Muslims sometimes refer to themselves as Bilalians?
- Who can be thought of as the first Muslim missionary in America?
- When was the first masjid (mosque) built in the US?
- Why do most US Muslim groups not discuss issues of gender and sexual diversity?
- How does education affect views on diversity?
- What significant restrictions does the Qur’an place upon polygyny (that is, having multiple wives)?
- What does the Qur’an stipulate regarding women’s property?
- What does the Qur’an say about the hijab, or veiling of women?
- What has controversy over issues such as veiling created?
- What have Muslim leaders pointed out about suicide bombings?
- What does the Western emphasis on open discussion achieve?