Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 272 – 282:
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
- In what present-day country were the famous cities of Samarkand (Samarqand) and Bukhara?
- Who succeeded the Samanids as rulers of the Middle East in the Eleventh century?
- Who reached the height of their power in the sixteenth century? What was the extent of their power?
- How did the crescent come to be seen as the symbol of Islam?
- After what time are there mosques in the main inland cities of China?
- What is a sure sign of a Muslim neighborhood, even in China?
- By what time was most of India under Muslim rule?
- What happened in India for the first time in the geographical spread of Islam?
- When did Islam first arrive in Southeast Asia?
- What is the largest Muslim Country in the world today?
- What are the essential features of a mosque? (*)
- Are minarets characteristic of all mosques?
- Is there a universal Islamic architecture that is uniform around the whole world?
- What are the three themes or motifs of Islamic art?
- What is prohibited from the art of Muslims?
- What was one external impetus for Islamic reform? (*)
- What did the crusaders take home with them that was also left in Muslim lands?
- What is a fatwa?
- What was the Wahhabi movement? What did it preach?
- What is jihad? What is the "inner jihad?" (*)
- Where in particular did Sufi Shaykhs spearhead a long struggle against colonialism?
- Where and when did the movement of al-Mahdi establish an Islamic state?
- What do Ahmadis maintain about Jesus?
- Who landed in Egypt in 1798?
- What largely stimulated the Arab renaissance of the 19th century?
- What was the Mughal dynasty?
- Who led the most important reform movement of modern times on the Indian subcontinent?
- What was the "Anglo-Muhammadan Law?"
- Who was the greatest Muslim thinker of modern India?