Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 297 – 305:
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
- What are the five pillars of Islam? (*)
- What is the shahadah?
- What is salat?
- Are the contents of the daily prayers fixed or changeable?
- Is the word "Mosque" and Arabic word?
- What is "in-sha-Allah?"
- What is zakat?
- What is Ramadan?
- Is every Muslim obliged to observe Ramadan under all circumstances?
- What is hajj?
- What is said to be the central rite of the hajj?
- Do Muslims ever offer blood sacrifices, that is to say, do they practice the ritual killing of animals?
- What are the essential features of a mosque? (*)
- Are minarets characteristic of all mosques?
- Is there a universal Islamic architecture that is uniform around the whole world?
- What are the three themes or motifs of Islamic art?
- What does the Qur’an specify about the making of images?
- What is prohibited from the art of Muslims?