Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
Pages 268 – 278:
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
- What does the name Islam signify?
- What is the Qur’an and how does it present Islam?
- What is the difference between the Islam of inanimate things, animals, and plants and that of humans?
- What is the shahadah? (*)
- What are hanifs and about what did they concur with Judaism and Christianity?
- What or who were the Quraysh?
- When was Muhammad born?
- Who was Khadijah?
- What does nabi mean? In what language?
- What did Muhammad instruct the Meccans (the people of Mecca) to do?
- Who was the first to accept the new faith of Islam?
- What led to the loss of all support and protection for Muhammad?
- What was the hijrah? What does it mark and when did it occur? (*)
- What particular Jewish practice did Muhammad adopt?
- What is the qiblah?
- What happened at the well of Badr in 624CE?
- What happened to Muhammad at Mount Uhud?
- What momentous event for Islam occurred in 630CE? (*)
- What is the ummah?
- What was the extent of the Islamic empire eighty years after the death of the Prophet?
- Who were the 'Abbasids?
- How many prophets does the Qur’an mention by name?
- What distinction does the Qur’an make between Messengers and Prophets of God?
- Of what was the Torah given to Moses on Mount Sinai an example?
- Who were the five major "prophets of power" in the Qur’an?
- How did the Qur’an come to Muhammad?
- How do the early Makkan surahs (chapters of the Qur’an) differ from later ones?
- What is the theological parallel between Jesus and the Qur’an? (*)
- How are translations of the Qur'an regarded?
- Under whom was the Qur’an first written? When was this?
- What is tafsir and how was it transmitted?
- Shirk means "association" and is considered a sin by Muslims. Why? (*)
- What is righteousness as expressed by the Qur’an?
- What is iman?
- What stands above Islam and iman?