Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer
essays in your quizzes.
Pages 178 - 195:
- What does the Bundahishn tell us occurs for the 12,000 year span of creation?
- How does Zoroastrianism contrast sharply with Gnostic and Manichaean dualism?
- What are the primary sources of ritual pollution?
- Who or what are the Amesha Spentas? (*)
- What is the Yenhe Hatam?
- What are mobed, ervad, and dastur?
- What is the atesh Behram and how many are there?
- What three life events are marked by Zoroastrian rituals?
- What is the kusti?
- What does drug or druj mean in the Zoroastrian religion?
- What is the Chinvat bridge?
- What are dakhma?
- Describe two symbols of icons of Zoroastrianism.
- After the fall of the Sassanid Empire in 641 CE to what did most Iranians convert?
- What is meant by "people of the book"?
- How was the figure of Zoroaster handled by Islam in Iraq?
- What did Manekji Limji Hataria achieve in 1882?
- Who was Firdowsi?
- What happened in Iran in 1979?
- When did Zoroastrians begin to migrate to Gujarat?
- How did the Gujurati Zoroastrians (Parsis) come to understand their faith?
- What happened to the Zoroastrian migrations to areas other than Gujarat?
- What is signified by the narrative of a Parsi priest slipping a coin or some other item of value into a brim-full pitcher of milk offered by a local king?
- What features shared by Parsi and Hindu religion may go back to their common Indo-Iranian heritage?
- What factors may have contributed to the success of the Parsis in Bombay?
- Who was Pherozeshah Mehta and what was significant about him?
- How did the end of British colonial rule in India affect the Parsis?
- What do Parsis call the principal parish priest?
- How does the Indian Parsi community accept converts?
- How did Parsi migration out of India change in the middle of the twentieth century?
- How did the community of Zoroastrians in Toronto change between the 70s and the 90s?
- Of what does worship mainly consist for Zoroastrians dispersed outside India and Iran?
- How did the Zoroastrian community outside Iran and India change after 1979?
- What specific difference between the attitudes towards religion in Indian and in North American society is discussed?
- Why were neither Indian nor Iranian Zoroastrians accustomed to receiving converts? (*)
- What was written in 1938 by Rustum Masani?
- Upon what may the future of Zoroastrianism depend?