Guided Reading for The Western Traditions.
Find the answer to each of these questions as it is given in the textbook before moving on to the next question.
Some answers, drawn from the textbook alone, will be rather simplistic. They can, and should, be elaborated upon as your knowledge of the subject grows.
It is part of the Guided Reading assignments that student should ASK as well as answer questions.
The symbol (*) after a question indicates that these might be used for longer essays in your quizzes.
Pages 45 - 65:
- What did the meticulous performance of a sequence of steps in most rituals do?
- What did the temples in Greece and Rome house?
- How did Egyptian priests restore their spiritual purity?
- What, according to Strabo, was women's religious influence?
- What exceptional phenomenon is typically associated with the holy Scriptures of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam? Is this phenomenon known elsewhere?
- To what does the word 'oracle' refer?
- What was the most influential and enduring method of divination from Mesopotamia to Rome? (*)
- Who was Anubis?
- What were the Egyptian texts known as instructions designed to inculcate?
- What was no less important than how humans treated the gods?
- For what purpose did many people seek the intercession of Isis?
- What was the 'wisdom' conveyed by Egyptian and Mesopotamian wisdom literature?
- When did theology begin?
- What did Egyptian and Mesopotamian priests set about to do in the first millennium BCE?
- What major shift in thinking has been attributed to Xenophanes? (*)
- What single thing takes place on Earth without the God, Zeus, according to Cleanthes?
- What did Protagoras believe about the gods?
- What did Euhemerus believe about the gods?
- What three ways did Varro suggest there were of thinking about the gods?
- What is the significance of the findings at Kfar HaHoresh?
- Who was Siduri and what was his advice?
- What was the attitude of the Mesopotamians and most Greeks to the afterlife?
- What three mystery religions are named and what mysteries did they reveal to their initiates?
- What did the Mesopotamian ziggurat represent?
- What awaits all gods according to the Egyptian Book of the Dead?
- What would mark the final victory of good over evil according to Zoroastrianism? (*)
- Between what dates might we locate the definitive end of antiquity?
- What is the literal meaning of the name Babylon?