MTH321 Numerical Analysis
Burden, Faires and Burden, (10th edition)
The objective of this course is to learn how to perform mathematical
computations on computational devices with limited precision. As such, all methods studied
will be approximation methods, and upon leaving this course you will know how accurate these
methods are and when they should and should not be used.
- learn how numerical values are stored in a computer and the consequences of this representation
- learn techniques for the solution of equations of one variable and (time allowing) equations of two or more variables
- learn techniques for the interpolation and approximation of functions
- learn techniques for numerical differentiation and integration
- learn techniques for solving ordinary differential equations and linear systems
The major outcomes for this class will be the demonstration on your part that you can apply to techniques taught in class to a variety of new problems. These problems will be given to you in three ways: homeworks, in-class exams and a take-home final.