1995. Ph.D. The Pennsylvania State University
1991. M.S. The Pennsylvania State University
1988. B.S. The Pennsyvania State University at Erie, The Behrend College
After earning my Ph.D., I was a post-doc at John Carroll University where I studied the effects of soil disturbance (impaction and fire) on erosion, and attempted to restore pre-disturbance conditions using naturally-derived cyanobacterial inocula.
1. Bissell, J.K., J.M. Balczon, E.C. Masteller. 1989. A survey of the macrophytes of Lake Pleasant, Erie County. J. PA Acad. Sci., 63:3-6.
2. Balczon, J.M., and J.R. Pratt. 1991. Substrate-associated microbiota. Research Journal of the Water Pollution Control Federation, 63:726-733.
3. Pratt, J.R., and J.M. Balczon. 1992. Biomonitoring using protozoans. In Lee, J.J., and A.T. Soldo (eds.), Protocols in Protozoology. Soc. of Protozool. pp. B-12.1 - B- 12.5.
4. Pratt, J.R., N.J. Bowers, and J.M. Balczon. 1993. A microcosm using naturally-derived microbial communities: Comparative ecotoxicology. In Landis, W.G., J.S. Hughes, and M.A. Lewis (eds), Environmental Toxicology and Risk Assessment, ASTM STP 1179, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 178-191.
5. Melendez, A.L., R.L. Kepner, Jr., J.M. Balczon, and J.R. Pratt. 1993. Effects of diquat on freshwater microbial communities. Arch. Env. Contam.Toxicol. 25: 95-101.
6. Balczon, J.M., and J.R. Pratt. 1994. A comparison of the responses of two microcosm designs to a toxic input of copper. Hydrobiologia 281: 101-114.
7. Balczon, J.M., and J.R. Pratt. 1995. A comparison of methods for estimating short-term feeding rates of algivorous ciliated protozoa. Arch. Protistenkd. 146: 49-58.
8. Balczon, J.M., and J.R. Pratt. 1996. The functional responses of two algivorous ciliated protozoa with differing feeding strategies. Microbial Ecology 31:209-224.