In the News
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Roberta Winters, former board member of the Pennsylvania League of Women Voters (LWVPA), will present "Pipelines and Pooling: Expanding Natural Gas Issues" at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 2 in Westminster College's Patterson Hall, room 207. She will present again at 2 p.m. at the Mercer County - Penn State Extension, located at 463 North Perry Highway, Mercer. Both presentations are free and open to the public.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College's Office of Faith and Spirituality will host a special worship service honoring America's veterans at 11:40 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11, in Orr Auditorium. The service is open to the community.
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at 724-946-7339 for additional information.
Education Department - Contact Barb Carr at 724-946-7180
Westminster Preschool - Contact Debi Roud at 724-946-7356
Academic Affairs - Contact Gabe Budai at 724-946-7122
Library Circulation Desk - Contact Dee Drabick at 724-946-7324
Information Systems Server Technician - Contact Kailen Fiedler at 724-946-6352
Information Systems Web Developer/Designer - Contact Kailen Fiedler at 724-946-6352
Athletics Department Work Study - Contact Tammy Swearingen at 724-946-7320
Theatre Technical Assistant/Scenic Charge Artist/Assistant Scenic Charge Artist/Assistant Costume Shop Foreman/Stage Crew - Contact Paula Ferguson at 724-946-7236
Looking for a way to earn money or gain course credit while you acquire excellent experience working with young children? Consider applying for a position at the Preschool Lab!
The Westminster College Psychology Preschool Lab is recruiting student aides for the 2014 spring semester. These positions are paid or may be eligible for course credit with adviser approval. The student aide positions require availability either M/W/F or T/Th mornings from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Experience with young children is preferred. If interested, please contact the psychology department secretary at 724-946-7356. Interviews will be held through Oct. 30.
View the Titan Bulletin to see local full-time positions go to https://www.westminster.edu/resources/career/career_employment_bulletin.cfm.
Pittsburgh Film Office Internships - Call 412-261-2744
Mercer County Historical Society Unter Intern Scholarship - Applications available in Career Center
Office of the U.S. Trade Representative Internships (Washington, D.C.) - Call 202-395-7360
PLS Logistics Services HR Internship (Cranberry Township) - Apply here
AECOM Science Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Boeing Business, Finance, Supply Chain Internships (Various Locations) - Apply here
The Pennsylvania Alliance for Retired Americans Spring Internship - Email
Bechtel Plant Machinery, Inc. (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Department of Conservation and Natural Resources - Apply here
Department of Environmental Protection - Apply here
Children, Youth and Family Services - Contact Katy DeMedal (Career Center) 724-946-6338
Highmark - Apply here
WTAE-TV Sales (Pittsburgh) - Email
GE-Transportation Diesel Engine Finance Co-Op/Internship (Grove City) - Email
Urban Promise Summer Internship (Camden, N.J.) - Apply here
PNC Summer Internships (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
James A. Finnegan Fellowship Foundation Summer Government Internships - Apply here
Mylan Finance/Accounting Summer Internship (Morgantown, W. Va.) - Apply here
Gutenberg Communications (New York) - Email
Hudson Companies Marketing Internship (Hermitage) - Apply here
Magee-Womens Research Institute Summer Internship - Contact Kelli Lazar at 412-641-6052
Arrow Electric, Inc. Accounts Payable Clerk - Contact Justine Parcher at 724-646-1903
Aeropostale Sales Associate (Grove City) - 724-748-4952
Word of Life Family Church Sunday Youth Program - 724-654-9652
The Tavern on the Square (New Wilmington) - 724-946-2020
Old Navy (Grove City) - 724-748-5726
American Eagle Outfitters Sales and Stock Associate - 724-748-4744
CHARITABLE IRA ROLLOVER EXTENDED - TIME IS RUNNING OUT ON THIS SPECIAL GIVING OPPORTUNITY!
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 extended the Charitable IRA Rollover as an important giving option for donors 70.5 years or older. Qualified charitable distributions may be made from traditional or Roth individual retirement accounts without paying taxes on distributions - but the provision is scheduled to expire on Dec. 31, 2013.
- The donor must be 70.5 years or older at the time of the contribution.
- The gift may be any amount up to $100,000.
- The gift must be completed by Dec. 31, 2013 to qualify as a 2013 donation.
- The charitable distribution IRA rollover gift counts towards your minimum required distribution for the year.
- IRA rollover gifts can be made to the designation of your choice.
Consult your IRA custodian to transfer your desired gift amount to Westminster. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction. As always, we encourage you to consult with your tax adviser if you are contemplating a gift under this provision.
OFFICE OF FAITH AND SPIRITUALITY CHAPEL SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES
Friday, Nov. 1
11:40 a.m. - Open Door Reflection - Elizabeth Frambes (McMurray, PA) Early Childhood/Special Education - Wallace Memorial Chapel
Saturday, Nov. 2
7 p.m. - Mass - Speaker: Fr. Tom Lewandowski from St. Camillus Church - Wallace Memorial Chapel
Sunday, Nov. 3
7 p.m. - Open Door Worship - Remembering the Saints (Saints Day) - Wallace Memorial Chapel
Contact the Office of Faith and Spirituality at 724-946-7117 for more information on services or upcoming Chapel events.
UPCOMING CAMPUS ACTIVITIES
UPCOMING ALUMNI ACTIVITIES
- Sunday, Dec. 8 - Lawrence-Mercer-Clarion and Youngstown-area alumni and families of current Westminster students Christmas Vespers Luncheon; 1 p.m., $19 per adult, $16 Westminster students and $10 children under 12 years buffet dinner; John S. Witherspoon Room, McKelvey Campus Center; Christmas Vespers; 3 p.m.; Orr Auditorium
- Saturday, Dec. 14 - Lawrence-Mercer-Clarion-area alumni Kraynak's Holiday Display special tour; 8 a.m.; no long lines, beat the crowds, special Westminster goodie bags for children; Kraynak's in Hermitage, Pa.
For additional information contact Cindy Dafler '03, assistant director of alumni relations, at 724-946-7373 or email.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
1 cup devil's food cake mix (from 1 lb 2.25-oz box)
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup yellow candy melts or coating wafers
1/4 cup orange candy melts or coating wafers
1/4 cup white candy melts or coating wafers
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
24 Bugles® original flavor snacks
24 creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
1 container (12 oz) whipped fluffy white ready-to-spread frosting
1/2 teaspoon leaf green paste food color
1.Heat oven to 350°F. Place mini paper baking cup in each of 24 mini muffin cups. In a medium bowl, beat cake mix, water, 3 tablespoons oil and the egg with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.
2. In 3 small microwavable bowls, microwave each color of candy melts separately on Medium (50%) 1 minute, stirring once, until melted. Stir 1 teaspoon oil into each bowl until blended.
3. Dip two-thirds of pointed end of each Bugle snack into orange coating. Place on waxed paper; freeze 5 minutes or until set. Dip pointed tips into white coating; freeze 5 minutes or until set. Dip wide ends into yellow coating. Gently press yellow end of each snack onto center of each sandwich cookie; let stand until set.
4. Tint frosting with food color. In small microwavable bowl, microwave frosting on High 10 to 20 seconds or until thin enough to pour. Frost cupcakes, allowing frosting to drip down sides. Top each cupcake with witch hat cookie.
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.