In the News
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Nine Westminster College broadcast communications majors will present their capstone projects Saturday, Dec. 1, starting at 11:30 a.m. in the Sebastian Mueller Theater of the McKelvey Campus Center. The program is free to the public.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Sarah Kennedy, Westminster College assistant professor of chemistry, co-authored an article in the Water Conditioning & Purification Magazine.
Westminster College Associate Professor Serves on Panels at Annual Meeting of the Social Science History AssociationMonday, November 26, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Timothy Cuff, Westminster College associate professor of history, recently served on two panels at the 37th Annual Meeting of the Social Science History Association (SSHA) in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College International Cultures Club in conjunction with the Department of Religion, History, Philosophy and Classics will be hosting a screening and conversation of the film "Education Under Fire" Dec. 4 at 5:30 p.m. in Mueller Theater, McKelvey Campus Center. The screening is free to the public.
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at (724) 946-7339 for additional information.
Athletic Department Lifeguard - (724) 946-7320
Audio-Visual Student Assistant - (724) 946-7188
Information Systems Student Technician - (724) 946-6352
Student Affairs Resident Assistant in Shaw Hall - (724) 946-7128
Big Brothers/Big Sisters Bowl for Kids' Sake PR/Marketing Intern - Submit resume to Career Center by Nov. 30
McQuillan Group LLC Accounting Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply to: Attn: K. Salera, 127 Anderson St., Suite 201, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
The National Society of Leadership and Success - Apply here
Sweetwater Center for the Arts Event Planning/Exhibition Intern (Sewickley) - Email
American Eagle Outfitters Part-Time Sales and Stock Associates (Grove City) - (724) 748-4744
Giant Eage Night Stock Clerk (New Castle) - 1700 New Butler Rd.
MedExpress Part-Time Customer Service (Neshannock) - (724) 656-4320
Seven Springs Part-time and Summer Employment - Pick up an application in the Career Center
Scholarships/Extra Cash Available:
- The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester includes two (2) $10,000 scholarships and four (4) $5,000 scholarships, to be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students with a declared major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related life-science field. To qualify for the scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and be enrolled in an accredited college for university for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester. Students may apply for the scholarship through the Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship website. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. CT on December 14, 2012. All questions regarding the scholarship may be directed to Ariel Rangel at email@example.com.
- Sunday, December 2 - Christmas Vespers Reception and Dinner; 4:15-6 p.m., $16 per adult, $14 Westminster Student and $9 children under 11 years; buffet dinner; John S. Witherspoon Room, McKelvey Campus Center. This is open to the entire Westminster community.
- Saturday, December 8 - Alumni Kraynak's Holiday Display special tour; 8 a.m.; no long lines, beat the crowds, special Westminster goodie bags for children; Kraynak's in Hermitage, PA
For additional information, contact Cindy Dafler '03, assistant director of alumni relations, (724) 946-7373.
Biology department events:
- The students and faculty of the Biology department invite you to the Biology/Molecular Biology Capstone Poster Presentations Nov. 30 from 3-5 p.m. in the Witherspoon Rooms, McKelvey Campus Center. The final component of liberal studies is the senior capstone course and project.
- Kings Chapel United Methodist Church will host their annual Drive Thru Nativity Dec. 1-2 from 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. Admission is free. The church is located at 861 Old Pulaski Road, New Castle, PA 16105. For more information call (724) 658-7569.
Furniture for Sale:
- Amish Light Oak Single Pedestal 65" (with 2, 1' leaves in) by 42" table with 6 high back chairs, $1300.
- Dark oak coffee table 55"x23"x17" with 2 shelves on end with middle cabinet, $150, (free ¾" glass top).
- Dark oak round, 18", end table with cabinet, 21" tall (matching coffee table), $50.
- 3 pc shelf all wood (dark) unit (1 for TV with cabinet below with 3 shelves, 1 for Stereo with 5 shelves, 1 with desk, 3 drawers and 2 shelves) 30.5"x78"x16" (free 2 ikea overhead lights for unit) $75 each or $150 for all three.
- 1 petite cane bottom chair, $45.
- (1) 3 drawer dark oak dresser, 32.5"x29"x18.25" (free 3"4 glass top) $125.
- (1) 3' round mirror, $150.
- 1 Printer case, $75
- 2 Petite Swivel rockers, $15 each or $25 for both
- 1 86"x28"x34" 3 cushion sofa, $100
- 1 Single pedestal 47.25" round formica table with 4 swivel tan leather like chairs, $200.
Call Camille at (724) 946-7112.
Gift Packages and Gift Certificates available through Sodexo Dining:
Parents - Need some holiday gift ideas for your student? Students - Don't know what to get your dorm mate? Order a gift basket or gift certificate here.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
2 pounds white chocolate
30 small peppermint candy canes
1. Line a large jellyroll pan with heavy-duty foil.
2. Place white chocolate in a microwave-saf bowl. Heat in microwave on medium setting for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
3. Place candy canes in a plastic bag, or between two pieces of waxed paper. Using a mallet or rolling pin, break the candy canes into chunks. Stir peppermint into melted white chocolate. Spread evenly in pan, and chill until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces by slamming on counter.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
One kind word can warm three winter months.
~Japanese Proverb from quotegarden.com
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.