In the News
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College will continue a long-standing tradition with the presentation of "And They Called Him Emmanuel" at Christmas Vespers Sunday, Dec. 2, at 7 p.m. in Orr Auditorium. The public is invited to attend.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Jamie G. McMinn, Westminster associate professor of psychology, will present "A Big Bang Sabbatical" at the Faires Faculty Forum Wednesday, Nov. 28, at 11:40 a.m. in the Sebastian Mueller Theater of the McKelvey Campus Center.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College's Department of Economics and Business hosted an alumni panel and an opportunity for majors to participate in mock interviews Nov. 10.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Eleven Westminster College "Broadcast and Digital Journalism" students worked on election day as digital video journalism stringers for the online version of the New Castle News.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College's Young Presbyterian Scholars Program (YPS) will sponsor its ninth annual Global Gift Market Wednesday, Nov. 28, from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. in the Witherspoon Maple Room of the McKelvey Campus Center. The event is open to the public.
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at (724) 946-7339 for additional information.
Athletic Department Lifeguard - (724) 946-7320
Audio-Visual Student Assistant - (724) 946-7188
Information Systems Student Technician - (724) 946-6352
Student Affairs Resident Assistant in Shaw Hall - (724) 946-7128
Big Brothers/Big Sisters Bowl for Kids' Sake PR/Marketing Intern - Submit resume to Career Center by Nov. 30
McQuillan Group LLC Accounting Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply to: Attn: K. Salera, 127 Anderson St., Suite 201, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
The National Society of Leadership and Success - Apply here
Sweetwater Center for the Arts Event Planning/Exhibition Intern (Sewickley) - Email
American Eagle Outfitters Part-Time Sales and Stock Associates (Grove City) - (724) 748-4744
Giant Eage Night Stock Clerk (New Castle) - 1700 New Butler Rd.
MedExpress Part-Time Customer Service (Neshannock) - (724) 656-4320
Seven Springs Part-time and Summer Employment - Pick up an application in the Career Center
Scholarships/Extra Cash Available:
- The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester includes two (2) $10,000 scholarships and four (4) $5,000 scholarships, to be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students with a declared major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related life-science field. To qualify for the scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and be enrolled in an accredited college for university for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester. Students may apply for the scholarship through the Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship website. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. CT on December 14, 2012. All questions regarding the scholarship may be directed to Ariel Rangel at email@example.com.
- Sunday, December 2 - Christmas Vespers Reception and Dinner; 4:15-6 p.m., $16 per adult, $14 Westminster Student and $9 children under 11 years buffet dinner; John S. Witherspoon Room, McKelvey Campus Center. This is open to the entire Westminster community.
- Saturday, December 8 - Alumni Kraynak's Holiday Display special tour; 8 a.m.; no long lines, beat the crowds, special Westminster goodie bags for children; Kraynak's in Hermitage, PA
For additional information, contact Cindy Dafler '03, assistant director of alumni relations, (724) 946-7373.
Chapel and Campus Ministry events:
- The Office of Faith and Spirituality will host the Hanging of the Greens Nov. 26 at 11:40 a.m. in Wallace Memorial Chapel. Attendees will learn about the meaning and the orgins of Christmas symbols and decorations.
- The Westminster College campus and community are invited to the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Nov. 26 at 7 p.m. on the Quad by the McGill Library. There will be Christmas carols, scripture readings, a relection, hot chocolate and treats.
- Kings Chapel United Methodist Church will host their annual Drive Thru Nativity Dec. 1-2 from 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. Admission is free. The church is located at 861 Old Pulaski Road, New Castle, PA 16105. For more information call (724) 658-7569.
Westminster Cable Network (WNC) events:
- WCN will air the New Castle Light Up Night parade on Thanksgiving Day. The telecast will run repeatedly all Thanksgiving day and evening beginning at 6 a.m. You can also view images from the parade at www.wcn247.com.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
6 cups thinly sliced apples
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
1. Prepare your pastry for a two crust pie. Wipe, quarter, core, peel, and slice apples; measure to 6 cups.
2. Combine sugar and cinnamon. The amount of sugar used depends on how tart your apples are.
3. Arrange apples in layers in pastry lined pie plate. Springle each layer with sugar and cinnamon. Dot top layer with small pieces of butter or margarine. Cover with top crust.
4. Place on lowest rack in oven preheated to 450 degrees F. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for another 30 to 35 minutes longer. Serve warm or cold.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.
~Meister Eckhart as quoted from quotegarden.com
HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.