In the News
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Gina Sharbaugh, Westminster College associate director of admissions, will be visiting local high schools Nov. 19-21.
Westminster College Assistant Professor and Alumna Present Research at Neuroscience Conference, Professor PublishedMonday, November 12, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Robin McGovern, assistant professor of behavioral neuroscience, and Westminster College alumna Kristina Scanlan `12 presented research at the Society for Neuroscience Annual Conference Oct. 13-17 in New Orleans.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - The Mortar Board Target chapter at Westminster College was among the outstanding Mortar Board chapters to be recognized at the 2012 Mortar Board National Conference in Chicago in July.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Ever Higher: The Campaign for Westminster College was so successful during its non-public phase that the Board of Trustees approved raising the campaign goal to $50 million during its Nov. 3 meeting.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Bethany Hicok, Westminster associate professor of English, will present "A Trip to the Amazon with Elizabeth Bishop" at the Faires Faculty Forum Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 11:40 a.m. in the Sebastian Mueller Theater of the McKelvey Campus Center.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Beverly Cushman, associate professor of religion and Christian education, spent a month in Nazareth, Israel, serving as Registrar of Artifacts for the new excavation of Shikhin.
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at (724) 946-7339 for additional information.
Athletic Department Lifeguard - (724) 946-7320
Audio-Visual Student Assistant - (724) 946-7188
Information Systems Student Technician - (724) 946-6352
Student Affairs Resident Assistant in Shaw Hall - (724) 946-7128
Big Brothers/Big Sisters Bowl for Kids' Sake PR/Marketing Intern - Submit resume to Career Center by Nov. 30
City Theatre Intern (Pittsburgh) - Email
County of Armstrong Internship (Kittanning) - Apply here
Delphi Human Resources Intern (Warren, Ohio) - Apply here
Enterprise Sales Management Trainee - Apply here
Holy Family Institute Internships (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Insurance Zebra Web Journalism Intern (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
McQuillan Group LLC Accounting Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply to: Attn: K. Salera, 127 Anderson St., Suite 201, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Merrill Lynch Investment Management Intern - Apply here
Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. 2013 Summer Finance Internship (Morgantown, W. Va) - Apply here
Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources (Harrisburg) - Apply here
Pittsburgh Penguins Internships - Apply here
Pittsburgh Zoo Information Technology Intern - Email
PPG Chemistry Internships - Apply here
Public Allies Apprenticeship (Pittsburgh) - Email
Rise Magazine Writers/Journalists (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Steelite International Graphic Design Intern (New Castle) - Email
TextMD, Inc. IT Intern (New Castle) - Email
U.S. Commercial Service International Trade Intern (Pittsburgh) - Email
U.S. Steel Intern - Apply here
Westinghouse Electric Company Non-Engineering Internships (Various locations) - Apply here
World Affairs Council Internship (Pittsburgh) - Email
American Eagle Outfitters Part-Time Sales and Stock Associates (Grove City) - (724) 748-4744
Chico's Sales Associate (Grove City) - Email
Giant Eage Night Stock Clerk (New Castle) - 1700 New Butler Rd.
Grove City Branch Teller - Apply here
MedExpress Part-Time Customer Service (Neshannock) - (724) 656-4320
New Castle Country Club Wait Staff - Email
Seven Springs Part-time and Summer Employment - Pick up an application in the Career Center
UPS Package Handler (Butler) - Apply here
Scholarships/Extra Cash Available:
- The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester includes two (2) $10,000 scholarships and four (4) $5,000 scholarships, to be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students with a declared major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related life-science field. To qualify for the scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and be enrolled in an accredited college for university for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester. Students may apply for the scholarship through the Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship website. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. CT on December 14, 2012. All questions regarding the scholarship may be directed to Ariel Rangel at email@example.com.
- Sunday, December 2 - Christmas Vespers Reception and Dinner; 4:15-6 p.m., $16 per adult, $14 Westminster Student and $9 children under 11 years buffet dinner; John S. Witherspoon Room, McKelvey Campus Center. This is open to the entire Westminster community.
- Saturday, December 8 - Alumni Kraynak's Holiday Display special tour; 8 a.m.; no long lines, beat the crowds, special Westminster goodie bags for children; Kraynak's in Hermitage, PA
For additional information, contact Cindy Dafler '03, assistant director of alumni relations, (724) 946-7373.
- A Community Thanksgiving Worship Service will take place Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in the Wallace Memorial Chapel. Canned goods and offerings will be accepted to support the Community Food Warehouse of Mercer County.
- Operation Christmas Child will be accepting gift-filled shoe boxes Nov. 14 from 9:30-10:30 p.m. in Berlin Lounge. They also need help gift wrapping boxes.
- The Department of English and Public Relations will host the third and final Bleasby Colloqium Thursday, Nov. 15, at 7:30 p.m. in Mueller Theater. Alumnae Amanda McFaddon and Laura Zorch, both from the class of 2006, will present "Eat, Blog, Publish." They will discuss how they have used their education and love of food to create an online blog and write their new book Food Lovers's Guide to Pittsburgh: The Best Restaurants, Markets & Local Culinary Offerings. The book will be available for purchase. The lecture is free to the public.
- The Department of Music will present a performance by the Percussion Ensemble Thursday, Nov. 15, at 7:30 p.m. in Orr Auditorium.
- The Planetarium will present "Tales of the Maya Skies" Saturday, Nov. 17, at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. They will also present this show with stargazing starting at 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. "The Mystery of the Christmas Star" will be shown Saturday, Dec. 15, at the same times as above. For more information click here.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
from Betty Crocker
1 box (6 oz) Betty Crocker Homestyle Stuffing
cornbread flavored mix
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 apple, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, toss stuffing mix, water and butter. Add apple, celery and parsley; toss until combined. Divide each mixture evenly among muffin cups, pressing mixture in cups with spoon.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until stuffing is firm and tops are golden brown.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way."
~Native American saying as quoted from quotegarden.com
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.