In the News
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Summer Zickefoose, Westminster College visiting assistant professor of art, has two pieces of artwork that are displayed and were curated into exhibitions in Kentucky.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College's Department of Mathematics and Computer Science hosted a series of orientation workshops for incoming mathematics and computer science majors in September.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College choral groups will present fall concerts Friday, Nov. 9, in Orr Auditorium and Sunday, Nov. 11, in Wallace Memorial Chapel. Both concerts are free to the public.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Shannon Smithey, associate professor of political science, and Dr. Kristenne Robison, assistant professor of sociology and criminal justice, will present "The Contemporary Face of Probation" at the Faires Faculty Forum Wednesday, Nov. 7, at 11:40 a.m. in the Sebastian Mueller Theater of the McKelvey Campus Center.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College admissions staff will be visiting local high schools Nov. 5-13.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Edward S. Cohen, Westminster College associate professor of political science, presented research at a workshop in September at the University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada.
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at (724) 946-7339 for additional information.
Athletic Department Lifeguard - (724) 946-7320
Audio-Visual Student Assistant - (724) 946-7188
Communication Services Sports Information Assistant - Nathan LaRiccia, (724) 946-6357
Information Systems Student Technician - (724) 946-6352
Orr Auditorium Stage Crew Tech Assistant - (724) 946-7236
Print Shop Work Study - (724) 946-7399
Preschool Lab Student Aide - (724) 946-7356
Sodexo Dining Services Catering Server - Email
321Blink (Aspinwall) - Apply here
Campus Shift Jr. Web Developer (Yougstown, Ohio) - Apply here
County of Armstrong Internship (Kittanning) - Apply here
Holy Family Institute Internships (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Jameson Health System Public Relations and Marketing Intern (New Castle) - Email
Macy's Store Management Intern (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
McQuillan Group LLC Accounting Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply to: Attn: K. Salera, 127 Anderson St., Suite 201, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Mr. Smalls Theatre Video Development Intern (Millvale) - Apply here
Pennsylvania Historical Museum Commission Intern (Harrisburg) - Apply here
Pittsburgh Penguins Internships - Apply here
PPG Chemistry Internships - Apply here
Price Waterhouse Tax Intern/Summer 2012 - Apply here
Public Allies Apprenticeship (Pittsburgh) - Email
Rise Magazine Writers/Journalists (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
TextMD, Inc Programmer Intern for Spring Semester (New Castle) - Email
World Affairs Council Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
American Eagle Outfitters Part-Time Sales and Stock Associates (Grove City) - (724) 748-4744
CBS Radio Part-Time Producer (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Gap Outlet/Kids and Baby Seasonal Sales Associate (Grove City) - Apply here
Giant Eage Night Stock Clerk (New Castle) - 1700 New Butler Rd.
MedExpress Part-Time Customer Service (Neshannock) - (724) 656-4320
New Castle Country Club Wait Staff - Email
Seven Springs Part-time and Summer Employment - Pick up an application in the Career Center
Scholarships/Extra Cash Available:
- The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester includes two (2) $10,000 scholarships and four (4) $5,000 scholarships, to be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students with a declared major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related life-science field. To qualify for the scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and be enrolled in an accredited college for university for the Winter/Spring 2013 semester. Students may apply for the scholarship through the Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship website. Applications will be accepted until 11:59:59 p.m. CT on December 14, 2012. All questions regarding the scholarship may be directed to Ariel Rangel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, November 8 - Pittsburgh-area alumni networking luncheon; Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore; 12-1:30 p.m.; $15 per person lunch buffet; reservations due November 2
- Sunday, December 2 - Christmas Vespers Reception and Dinner; 4:15-6 p.m., $16 per adult, $14 Westminster Student and $9 children under 11 years buffet dinner; John S. Witherspoon Room, McKelvey Campus Center. This is open to the entire Westminster community.
- Saturday, December 8 - Alumni Kraynak's Holiday Display special tour; 8 a.m.; no long lines, beat the crowds, special Westminster goodie bags for children; Kraynak's in Hermitage, PA
- The Office of Faith and Spirituality will be holding auditions for "Godspell" Nov. 12 from 5-7p.m. and Nov. 12 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Contact the Office of Faith and Spirituality at (724) 946-7117 for additional information.
- A Community Thanksgiving Worship Service will take place Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in the Wallace Memorial Chapel. Canned goods and offerings will be accepted to support the Community Food Warehouse of Mercer County.
- Phi Mu and Phi Kappa Tau are hosting Concert for a Cause Nov. 10 at 8 p.m. in Orr Auditorium. Tickets are $4 at the TUB or $5 at the door. All proceeds will help an alumnae sister of Phi Mu pay for medical bills. The event is open to the public. For more information click here.
- Operation Christmas Child will be accepting gift-filled shoe boxes Nov. 14 from 9:30-10:30 p.m. in Berlin Lounge. For more information click here.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Ginger Spice Cupcakes
with Cream Cheese Frosting.
from Betty Crocker
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup molasses
2 cups Gold Medal white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup water
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoond grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
additional ground cinnamon, if desired
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Place Reynolds Baking Cups in each of 18 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, the molasses and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon until well blended. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the allspice and water. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.
3. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, the lemon peel, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth. Beat in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until spreadable.
5. Pipe or spread generous amount of frosting on top of each cupcake; sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, if desired. Store covered in refrigerator.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
~Elmer Davis as quoted from quotegarden.com
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.