In the News
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - The Westminster College Board of Trustees added nine members to the class 2016, including three first-time trustees.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - The Westminster College Celebrity Series will welcome The Midtown Men Thursday, Sept. 13, at 7:30 p.m. in Orr Auditorium.
Westminster College Professor to Discuss Using Equations and Computer Algebra to Model the 1918 PandemicWednesday, August 29, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Carolyn Cuff, Westminster professor of mathematics, will present "A SAGE Approach to Modeling the 1918 Pandemic" at the Faires Faculty Forum Wednesday, Sept. 5, at 11:40 a.m. in the Sebastian Mueller Theater of the McKelvey Campus Center.
Westminster College Student and Professor Present Research at American Psychological Association ConventionTuesday, August 28, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Devon Struthers, a psychology major who graduated from Westminster College in May, and Dr. Sandra Webster, professor of psychology, presented research at the American Psychological Convention Aug. 2-5 in Orlando, Fla.
Westminster College Professor Presents Research at the Annual Meeting for Education in Journalism and Mass CommunicationTuesday, August 28, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. James Rhoads, Westminster College professor of political science, presented research at the annual meeting of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Aug. 8-12 in Chicago.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Nine Westminster College students recently received scholarships through The Pittsburgh Foundation. All awards will be applied to the students' tuition for the 2012-2013 academic year.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College's Department of Communication Studies, Theatre and Art will host an opening Wednesday, Aug. 29, from 4-5:30 p.m. at the Art Gallery in Patterson Hall. The event is free and open to the public.
Westminster College Visiting Assistant French Professor Travels to Europe as Part of Research ProjectFriday, August 24, 2012
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Leslie Kealhofer, Westminster College visiting assistant professor of French, traveled to Paris and London during the summer to expand her knowledge of the French language, culture and arts of French speaking countries.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster faculty research was featured in Research Highlights in Technology and Teacher Education 2012.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Katherine Robertson, Westminster College associate professor of biology, wrote an article that was featured in the August issue of the Journal of College Science Teaching.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Three Westminster College junior mathematics majors and their adviser attended the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) MathFest celebration Aug. 2-4 in Madison, Wis.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College will welcome the class of 2016 with a picnic on Wednesday, Aug. 29, at 5:30 p.m. at the Wiley Alumni House.
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Four Westminster College chemistry faculty participated in the Biennial Conference on Chemical Education (BCCE) July 29-Aug. 2 at Pennsylvania State University.
Westminster College Aquatics is offering swimming lessons Sept. 10-20 at the Natatorium. All participants must be at least 5 years of age. The Cost is $60 per person. Registration will take place Sept. 9 from 6-7 p.m. in the lobby of the Memorial Field House. For more information call 724-946-7321.
The Office of Faith and Spirituality will welcome guest speaker Jason Santos, associate pastor of New Wilmington Presbyterian Church, Wednesday Sept. 19 in the Berlin Lounge at 9:30 p.m. Santos is the author of A Community Called Taize: A Story of Prayer, Worship and Reconciliation. He has had his writing appear in many youth ministry journals. The event is free and open to the public.
Return to campus Sept. 28-30 for homecoming and reunion activities. Weekend highlights include: rededication of Patterson Hall, distinguished alumni dinner, annual homecoming parade, decade tents on the quad, and the Titans take on the Grove City Wolverines.
• 5th Cluster Reunion: Classes of 2006, 2007, and 2008 - Reunion luncheon in the Berlin Student Lounge of the McKelvey Campus Center
• 20th Cluster Reunion: Classes of 1991, 1992, and 1993 - Reunion dinner at Oak Tree Country Club in West Middlesex
• 25th Reunion: Class of 1987 - Reunion dinner at Oak Tree Country Club in West Middlesex
• 40th Cluster Reunion: Classes of 1971, 1972, and 1973 - Reunion dinner at Park Inn by Radisson in West Middlesex
• 50th Reunion: Class of 1962 - Reunion dinner at the New Castle Country Club
• 55th Reunion: Class of 1957 - Reunion dinner in the Witherspoon Lakeview Room of the McKelvey Campus Center
• 60th Reunion: Class of 1952 - Reunion open house hosted by John Peterson '52
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Chai Butter Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup Chai Tea Mix
1 1/3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 1/3 cups sugar, and chai tea mix until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; blend into the creamed mixture until all of the dry has been absorbed. Cover the dough, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll the cookie dough into walnut sized balls, and roll the balls in sugar. Place the cookies onto greased cookie sheets about 3 inches apart, and flatten slightly using the tines of a fork.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, just until the edges begin to brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"All the world is a laboratory to the inquiring mind."
~Martin H. Fischer as quoted on quotegarden.com
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.