In the News
Saturday, May 19, 2012
Nearly 300 students earned diplomas during the 158th annual Westminster College commencement ceremonies Saturday.
Six Westminster College senior psychology majors presented their research at the Midwestern Psychological Association conference May 2-5 in Chicago.
Westminster College chemistry/biochemistry majors presented the results of a service-learning project at the May 10 meeting of the Slippery Rock Watershed Coalition (SRWC) at Jennings Environmental Education Center.
Westminster College's fraternities and sororities raised over $17,000 in money and Student Government Association (SGA) collected more than 51,000 food, clothing, toys, and other items during Greek Week 2012.
Westminster College junior environmental science major Hilary Stenger received the Helen R. Ferguson Scholarship for excellence in environmental science.
Dr. Jason Howard, Westminster College visiting assistant professor of music, was a featured performer at the Dana School of Music's Dana New Music Festival May 2 in Youngstown, Ohio.
Westminster College's STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) departments hosted 16 high school girls for a visit May 3. The event was coordinated through Westminster's Sustainability in Motion Program.
Westminster College's annual Relay for Life raised nearly $25,000 at the May 5 event.
Dr. Russell Martin, Westminster College professor of history, is the author of A Bride for the Tsar: Bride-Shows and Marriage Politics in Early Modern Russia that was published recently by Northern Illinois University Press.
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at (724) 946-7339 for additional information.
• Pittsburgh Penguins Radio internship - website
• Pennsylvania Game Commission summer interns - James Donatelli, Land Management Supervisor, Pennsylvania Game Commission, Box 31, Franklin, PA 16323
• DynaVox Mayer-Johnson software tester - website
• Pyrotecnico office help (New Castle) - email or (724) 652-1288 (fax)
• Manufacturing laborers (New Wilmington) - (866) 828-4499
• Perry's Ice Cream sales representative (New Castle/Sharon) - website
Attention Young Alumni Classes:
It's not too late!
Help your team win the race to 300! 300 donors making a gift at any dollar amount increases the rate of participation by 2%.
On April 1, recent graduating classes were broken into teams: Classes 1996-2000, Classes 2001-2005, and Classes 2006-2010. For the first team to cross the finish line with 300 new donors by June 30, a generous challenge gift of $3,000 in support of student scholarships will be made by Westminster College Trustee William W. Rankin '60. The impact of your gift can multiply.
As of May 22, Team 2001-2005 is still winning with 61 donors.
Every gift of every size contributes to student success. Giving is easy. To make your gift and follow your team's progress online click here.
Do you know a future student who would be a great fit at Westminster? Share information about your future Titan here.
• Westminster's Preschool Lab presents "Summer Science Camp for Kids" Monday-Friday, June 18-22, at the preschool in the Hoyt Science Resources Center. Parents may choose either the morning session (9-11:45 a.m.) or the afternoon session (1-3:45 p.m.) for children aged four to six. Pick up a brochure at the preschool or visit the preschool's website to print a registration form. Deadline to register is Friday, June 1.
• Titan Sports Experience Summer Camp for grades K-8 will be June 18-22 and will include instruction in a variety of age-appropriate skill-based and recreational games. Applications are available here. Contact Girish Thakar at (724) 946-7316 or Jan Reddinger at (724) 946-7319 with questions, for more information, or to request a printed copy of the application.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Berries and Cream Desserts
1 loaf (10¾ ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup marshmallow crème
1 cup slice fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
Cut the pound cake in half. Cut one half into ½-inch cubes; save remaining cake for another use. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and marshmallow crème until smooth.
In four small serving dishes, layer the cake cubes and fruit. Top with cream cheese mixture. Chill until serving.
Makes 4 servings
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me."
~ Lee Greenwood, "God Bless the USA"
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.