In the NewsPrinter Friendly Version
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Timothy Cuff, Westminster College associate professor of history, will present at the Faires Faculty Forum Wednesday, Feb. 6, at 11:...
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Westminster College's Departments of Modern Languages and English, in conjunction with the Jake Erhardt International Film Series, will show the film Le Gamin Au Vélo...
Westminster College Education Professor Authors Four Academic Blog Posts on Israeli Children's BooksMonday, January 28, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Dr. Charlene Klassen Endrizzi, Westminster College professor of education, recently wrote four blog posts for classroom teachers on the Worlds of Words (W.O.W): ...
Friday, January 25, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Fourteen Westminster College students were given the opportunity to cover the Cleveland Cavaliers versus Milwaukee Bucks NBA game as members of the media Dec. 14...
Thursday, January 24, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - Erin Smith, director of library services and associate professor, will present at the Faires Faculty Forum Wednesday, Jan. 30, ...
The following list of internship opportunities, employers, and contact information is provided for your convenience. Please contact the Career Center at (724) 946-7339 for additional information.
The Career Center is happy to announce that the Titan Employment Bulletin will now be accessible 24/7 with on-campus job postings daily!
Go to http://www.westminster.edu/resources/career/career_employment_bulletin.cfm.
Bayer IT Intern in Legal & Retention Solutions Department - Apply here
Dairy Farms of America Quality Assurance Intern (New Wilmington) - Apply here
Deloitte Tax LLP Tax Consultant (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Foster Grandparent Program Assistant/Marketing Intern (Pittsburgh) - Email
Glade Run Lutheran Services Marketing Intern - Email or Fax: (724) 452-7642
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Summer Internship - Email
Internet Data Management, Inc. Web/Graphic Design Intern (Poland, Ohio) - Email or Apply here, (330) 707-0432
James Finnegan Fellowship Foundation Summer Government Internship (Reading) - Apply here, (610) 929-4582
JP Morgan Chase & Co. Pre-Internship Program (Various Locations) - Apply here
Keystone Blind Association Marketing/Business Intern (Sharon) - Email
KPMG Tax Internship - Apply here
Lawrence County Tourist Promotion Agency Public Relations Intern (New Castle) - Email
Macy's Store Management Internship (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources Internship (Harrisburg) - Apply here
Pittsburgh Center for the Arts Teaching Assistant Intern - Apply here
Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera Association Summer Internships - Apply here, Email
Pittsburgh's Ohio Valley General Hospital Marketing and Special Events Intern - Email or call (412) 777-6359
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Special Events Assistant - Apply here
Preston Auto IT Internship (New Castle) - Email, (724) 730-9935
Root Sports Production Intern (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
SAE International Non-Profit Marketing Intern (Cranberry Twp.) - Email
Sharon Regional Health System Marketing and Communications Intern - Email or call (724) 983-5541
The Pennsylvania Historical Museum Commission Summer Internship (Harrisburg) - Apply here
The Yinzer Pittsburgh Sporting News Writer - Apply here
United States Steel Corporation IT Intern (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
University of Pittsburgh Summer Research Programs in Science Education and Health Sciences - Apply here
UPMC Summer Internships in Information Resources, Human Resources, Marketing, and more. (Pittsburgh) - Apply here
U.S. Dept. of Justice U.S. Marshals Service Western District of P.A. Intern - 700 Grant St, Suite 2360, Pittsburgh 15219
Westinghouse Electric Company: Various Internships (Madison, New Stanton, or Cranberry Twp.) - Apply here
World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh Internship - Email or call (412) 281-7970
American Eagle Outfitters (Grove City) (724) 748-4744
Chico's Sales Associate (Grove City) - Email or call (724) 748-9990
Farmers National Bank Part-Time Teller (Grove City) - Email
Green Mountain Energy Company Sales Agent - Email or call (412) 928-3673
Liberty Tax Servuce Tax Preparer - Email
Nike Sales Associate - Apply here
The Penn Ohio Indoor Football League (New Castle) - Email
G.I.V.E. DAY -- FEB. 14
Celebrate G.I.V.E. Day Feb. 14 from 3-6 p.m. in the Witherspoon Rooms of the McKelvey Campus Center. G.I.V.E. Day (Give. Involve. Value. Engage.) - aka. "Tuition Freedom Day" - is the day of the year when tuition ends and giving kicks in! What students pay to attend Westminster covers only about 70% of the actual cost. A significant portion of the balance is covered by private contributions made to The Westminster Fund from generous, faithful alumni of the College.
Click here for more information.
THE CHARITABLE IRA ROLLOVER EXTENDED!
When Congress passed the American Taxpayer Relief Act on New Year's Day, a special benefit was included. The Charitable IRA Rollover was extended for certain charitable distributions made for 2012 and 2013.
- Make gifts for 2012 through January of 2013 to maximize the benefits of these gifts and minimize the taxes on funds in a traditional IRA.
- Take advantage of the charitable IRA for the current year until December 31, 2013.
- If you are over 70.5 and would like to use IRA funds for charitable purposes for calendar 2012, you have until January 31, 2013 to do so.
- Those who took a distribution from an IRA in December 2012 can avoid having those distributions taxed by making cash contributions to qualified charitable organizations before January 31, 2013.
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE CALL FOR PAPERS
The department will be hosting the Innovative Strategies in Criminal Justice Symposium April 4-5. This undergraduate symposium will feature individuals working to solve problems in the criminal justice system through the discussion of innovative responses and programs.
The department is seeking paper and poster submissions from Westminster students. If interested, please complete the following:
- Proposals are due by March 1.
- Papers for the paper competition are due by March 15.
- Registration is due by March 15.
Contact Dr. Kristenne Robison at (724) 946-6033 or go to www.westminster.edu/cjs for more information.
BUY BACK AT THE BOOKSTORE
The lower level bookstore will be buying back books 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Feb 7-8 in the Tub.
HURRICANE SANDY RELIEF
The Westminster community is doing its part to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Items, monetary donations, and gift cards (particularly from Home Depot and Lowes) are being accepted to help these victims. Donations can be dropped off at the Chapel Office (Room 223) in the McKelvey Campus Center. There are also boxes in the student dormitories. Items will be collected into February.
Gift Cards (Lowes and Home Depot cards most needed)
Canned Food Items (especially peanut butter, jelly, beef stew, chili cans, canned meats)
Personal Hygiene Products for Adults and Babies
Contact Rev. Jim Mohr, College chaplain, at 724-946-7116 or email for more information.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Strawberry-Chocolate Mini Cupcakes
with White Chocolate Ganache
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (0.13 oz) package unsweetened strawberry-flavored drink mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or to taste
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups heavy cream
2 (0.13 oz) packages of unsweetened strawberry-flavored drink mix
36 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line the cups of four 24-cup mini cupcake pans with paper liners. Sift the flou, baking soda, baking powder, all the cocoa powder, 1 package of strawberry drink mix, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. In a seperate bowl, beat butter and white sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy; beat the eggs in, one at a time, adding each egg after the previous one has been completely incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract; mix in the flour-cocoa mixture in 4 additions, alternating each time with milk. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat in the cream. Fill the cupcake cups 12 to 3/4 full.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to racks, and allow the cupcakes to cool.
4. Bring 2 cups of cream almost to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; dissolve the 2 packets of strawberry drink mix into the cream. Stir in the white chocolate until the chunks melt and the mixture becomes melted, smooth, and shiny. Set aside and allow ganache to cool to warm temperature (about 95 degrees F/ 35 degrees C). Frost each cupcake with ganache.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt."
~Charles M. Schulz as quoted on brainyquote.com.
About The Westminster Weekly
Editor: Alyssa Ludwiczak
Westminster College's weekly newsletter is published online by the Office of Communication Services (724-946-7190).
Please send information through e-mail to Alyssa Ludwiczak.