Monday, September 30, 2013
NEW CONCORD, Ohio - The Westminster College women's tennis team shutout non-conference foe Muskingum on Monday, 9-0, in straight sets. The Titans remained unbeaten at 11-0 overall, while the Muskies dropped to 1-1 on the year.
Titan freshman Mariah Turiano (Hollidaysburg, PA / Hollidaysburg) played at no.1 singles for the first time of her collegiate career and made the most of the opportunity as she did not surrender a game, winning 6-0, 6-0.
Turiano teamed up with junior Lauren Fling (Norton, OH / Norton) at no. 1 doubles for an 8-0 win.
Westminster will host Pitt-Greensburg on Friday at 4 p.m.
1. Mariah Turiano (WES) def. Lindsay Mullen (MUSKW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Sydney Sterner (WES) def. Rebecca Keeley (MUSKW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Heather Santa (WES) def. Sara Berning (MUSKW) 6-3, 6-0
4. Lauren Fling (WES) def. Renee Staudt (MUSKW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Christijana Vucenovi (WES) def. Autumn Nelson (MUSKW) 6-1, 6-2
6. Maria Pallone (WES) def. Johanna Smith (MUSKW) 6-2, 6-4
1. Lauren Fling/Mariah Turiano (WES) def. Lindsay Mullen/Rebecca Keeley (MUSKW) 8-0
2. Sydney Sterner/Maria Pallone (WES) def. Sara Berning/Autumn Nelson (MUSKW) 8-1
3. Heather Santa/Kaitlin Braman (WES) def. Johanna Smith/Renee Staudt (MUSKW) 8-1
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 378 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.