Friday, March 28, 2014NEW CASTLE, Pa. - The Westminster College men's tennis team won, 9-0, against Thiel at home on Friday in Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) action. The match took place at the North Beaver Indoor Tennis Courts.
The Titans improved to 4-4 overall and 2-0 in the PAC, while the Tomcats dropped their first match of the year.
Sophomore Troy Abbott (Seven Fields, PA / Seneca Valley) won no. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-1. Abbott teamed up with junior Mike Matisi (Lowellville, OH / Lowellville) for a 8-0 win at no. 1 doubles. Also picking up a shutout in doubles were sophomore Ethan McCarthy (New Castle, PA / Neshannock) and freshman Sam Angelo (Warren, OH / Warren G. Harding) who won at no. 3, 8-0.
Westminster will compete at Grove City on Monday at 3:30 p.m.
1. Troy Abbott (WES) def. Zach Kubec (THI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mike Matisi (WES) def. Danny Dawson (THI) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ryan Carr (WES) def. Jon Fennick (THI) 6-1, 6-0
4. Mark Andino (WES) def. Justin Mayhugh (THI) 6-0, 6-2
5. Ethan McCarthy (WES) def. Jack Sindlinger (THI) 6-0, 6-2
6. Mark Zalakar (WES) def. Trevor Martin (THI) 6-0, 6-1
1. Troy Abbott/Mike Matisi (WES) def. Danny Dawson/Zach Kubec (THI) 8-0
2. Ryan Carr/Mark Andino (WES) def. Jon Fennick/Justin Mayhugh (THI) 8-2
3. Ethan McCarthy/Sam Angelo (WES) def. Trevor Martin/Jack Sindlinger (THI) 8-0
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 378 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.