Sunday, October 6, 2013STEUBENVILLE, Ohio - The Westminster College women's tennis team won, 6-3, at non-conference Franciscan (Ohio) on Sunday. The Titans remained unbeaten with an overall record of 14-0, while the Barons dropped to 8-5.
The match marked the first time this season that the Titans lost more than two sets.
In singles, Titan seniors Caitie Hosler (Lititz, PA / Manheim Central) at no. 1 and Heather Santa (Butler, PA / Butler) at no. 4 won in straight sets. Hosler partnered with freshman Mariah Turiano (Hollidaysburg, PA / Hollidaysburg) at no. 1 doubles for an 8-0 shutout.
Westminster will host Edinboro in the Titans' Senior Day next Tuesday at 4 p.m.
1. Caitlin Hosler (WES) def. Crunkleton Caeles (FRNW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Mariah Turiano (WES) def. Veazy Ashley (FRNW) 6-1, 6-4
3. Sydney Sterner (WES) def. Crespo Renata (FRNW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Heather Santa (WES) def. Jenson Allsion (FRNW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Coyne Erin (FRNW) def. Christijana Vucenovi (WES) 6-2, 6-2
6. Neugebauer Lucia (FRNW) def. Kaitlin Braman (WES) 6-2, 7-5
1. Caitlin Hosler/Mariah Turiano (WES) def. Crespo Renata/Crunkleton Caeles (FRNW) 8-0
2. Veazy Ashley/Haddad Claire (FRNW) def. Heather Santa/Lauren Fling (WES) 9-7
3. Sydney Sterner/Maria Pallone (WES) def. Neugebauer Lucia/Chambers Kelly (FRNW) 8-5
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 378 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.