Tuesday, March 5, 2013HILTON HEAD, S.C. - The Westminster College men's tennis team lost, 8-1, to Adrian College Tuesday in its second match of its Spring Break Trip. The Titans dropped to 0-8 on the year, while the Bulldogs improved to 6-3.
Westminster freshman Troy Abbott (Seven Fields, PA / Seneca Valley) won 6-0 in game one at no. 1 singles, but Adrian's Jordan Verbauwhede battled back and won game two, 6-2, and the tiebreaker, 10-7.
Titan sophomore Mike Matisi (Lowellville, OH / Lowellville) won at no. 4 singles (6-3, 7-5).
Westminster will conclude its Spring Break Trip on Thursday when it plays Catholic at 11:30 a.m.
1. Jordan Verbauwhede (ADRIAN) def. Troy Abbott (WES) 0-6, 6-2, 10-7
2. Ryan Delacy (ADRIAN) def. Sean Black (WES) 6-1, 6-2
3. Michael Mertz (ADRIAN) def. Brad Thomas (WES) 6-1, 6-0
4. Mike Matisi (WES) def. Cameron Hamilton (ADRIAN) 6-3, 7-5
5. Alex Amos (ADRIAN) def. Ryan Carr (WES) 6-1, 6-3
6. Spencer Georgetti (ADRIAN) def. Mark Andino (WES) 6-0, 6-0
1. Jordan Verbauwhede/Michael Mertz (ADRIAN) def. Sean Black/Troy Abbott (WES) 8-1
2. Cameron Hamilton/Alex Amos (ADRIAN) def. Brad Thomas/Mike Matisi (WES) 8-4
3. Ryan Delacy/Spencer Georgetti (ADRIAN) def. Ryan Carr/Marshall Finelli (WES) 8-2
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 377 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.