Friday, February 22, 2013ERIE, Pa. - The Westminster College men's tennis team lost, 9-0, at Penn State-Behrend Friday night. The Nittany Lions improved to 1-3 on the season, while the Titans dropped to 0-3.
Senior Marshall Finelli (Girard, OH / Ursuline) battled hard in no. 5 singles, but lost 6-4, 6-4.
The duo of freshman Ethan McCarthy (New Castle, PA / Neshannock) and junior Ryan Carr (Cheektowaga, NY / Cheektowaga Central) made it close in no. 3 doubles, but just came up short at 8-5.
Westminster is back on the courts when it travels to Hilton Head Island, SC for its spring break trip. The Titans will play St. John Fisher first on March 3 at 11:30 a.m.
1. Taimi Ando (BEHM) def. Troy Abbott (WES) 6-1, 6-1
2. Chris Galvin (BEHM) def. Sean Black (WES) 6-2, 6-0
3. Lerdlarp Jaturapol (BEHM) def. Mike Matisi (WES) 6-4, 6-0
4. David Buiter (BEHM) def. Brad Thomas (WES) 6-4, 6-3
5. Raphael Bretz (BEHM) def. Marshall Finelli (WES) 6-4, 6-4
6. Carson Emili (BEHM) def. Mark Andino (WES) 6-4, 6-1
1. Taimi Ando/Chris Galvin (BEHM) def. Sean Black/Troy Abbott (WES) 8-3
2. Lerdlarp Jaturapol/David Buiter (BEHM) def. Mike Matisi/Brad Thomas (WES) 8-2
3. Raphael Bretz/Guillermo Guillen (BEHM) def. Ethan McCarthy/Ryan Carr (WES) 8-5
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 377 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.