Sunday, April 6, 2014
WAYNESBURG, Pa. - The Westminster College men's tennis team won, 6-3, versus Waynesburg in Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) action on Sunday. The Titans improved to 5-5 overall and 3-1 in the PAC, while the Yellow Jackets dropped to 1-7 overall and 0-4 in the conference.
Titan sophomore Troy Abbott (Seven Fields, PA / Seneca Valley) won no. 1 singles in shutout fashion, 6-0, 6-0. Abbott also teamed up with junior Mike Matisi (Lowellville, OH / Lowellville) for an 8-6 win at no. 1 doubles. Westminster junior Mark Andino (Norwalk, CT / Norwalk) fought hard at no. 4 singles to win, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1. Westminster also won no. 2 doubles and no. 5 and 6 singles.
Westminster will travel to Bethany on Tuesday with a start time of 3 p.m.
1. Troy Abbott (WES) def. Isaiah Cochran (WAY) 6-0, 6-0
2. Timothy Harris (WAY) def. Mike Matisi (WES) 6-3, 6-2
3. Philip Littlejohn (WAY) def. Ryan Carr (WES) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mark Andino (WES) def. Colin Phillips (WAY) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
5. Ethan McCarthy (WES) def. Mitchell Ross (WAY) 7-5, 6-2
6. Mark Zalakar (WES) def. James Manges (WAY) 6-0, 6-2
1. Mike Matisi/Troy Abbott (WES) def. Isaiah Cochran/Timothy Harris (WAY) 8-6
2. Philip Littlejohn/Colin Phillips (WAY) def. Mark Andino/Ryan Carr (WES) 8-4
3. Sam Angelo/Ethan McCarthy (WES) def. James Manges/Caleb Gaumer (WAY) 8-1
Updated: April 7, 2:01 PM
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 378 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.