Friday, April 5, 2013
NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. - The Westminster College men's tennis team shutout Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) foe Thomas More, 9-0, on Friday at Lakeside Courts. The Titans improved to 2-12 overall and 2-3 in the PAC, while the Saints dropped to 0-6 overall and 0-4 in the conference.
This marked the second shutout for the Titans over a PAC opponent this year.
Titan freshman Troy Abbott (Seven Fields, PA / Seneca Valley) at no. 1 singles won in three sets as he won set one, 6-4, lost set two, 3-6, and won the tie breaker at 10-3. Sophomore Mike Matisi (Lowellville, OH / Lowellville) at no. 4 singles earned the loan Titan shutout as he won, 6-0, 6-0.
Westminster is back in action when it travels to Waynesburg on Saturday at 12 p.m.
1. Troy Abbott (WES) def. Sergio Pascual (TMC) 6-4, 3-6, 10-3
2. Sean Black (WES) def. Ben Millman (TMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Brad Thomas (WES) def. Tim Rice (TMC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Mike Matisi (WES) def. Andrew Mason (TMC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Ryan Carr (WES) def. Michael Stephens (TMC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Mark Andino (WES) vs. No player (TMC), Forfeit
1. Sean Black/Troy Abbott (WES) def. Sergio Pascual/Ben Millman (TMC) 8-1
2. Brad Thomas/Mike Matisi (WES) def. Michael Stephens/Tim Rice (TMC) 8-1
3. Marshall Finelli/Ryan Carr (WES) vs. No player/No player (TMC), Forfeit
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 377 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.