Thursday, March 7, 2013
HILTON HEAD, S.C. - The Westminster College men's tennis team concluded its Spring Break Trip on Thursday with an 8-1 loss against Catholic University. The Titans dropped to 0-9 on the year, while the Cardinals improved to 7-3.
The Titan duo of junior Ryan Carr (Cheektowaga, NY / Cheektowaga Central) and senior Marshall Finelli (Girard, OH / Ursuline) won at no. 3 doubles, 8-1.
Westminster sophomore Mike Matisi (Lowellville, OH / Lowellville) battled back at no. 4 singles after he lost game one, 7-6, with a 6-4 game two victory, however lost 10-7 in the tie-breaker.
The Titans return to the courts on March 14 when they play Presidents' Athletic Conference foe Bethany at home at 3:30 p.m.
1. Brian Bradley (CUAMT) def. Troy Abbott (WES) 6-0, 6-0
2. Cassian Utrie (CUAMT) def. Sean Black (WES) 6-1, 6-0
3. Kyle Kramer (CUAMT) def. Brad Thomas (WES) 6-2, 6-2
4. Joe Peters (CUAMT) def. Mike Matisi (WES) 7-6, 4-6, 10-7
5. Jason Quisberth (CUAMT) def. Ryan Carr (WES) 6-2, 6-4
6. Schuyler Hayward (CUAMT) def. Mark Andino (WES) 6-1, 6-1
1. Brian Bradley/Jason Quisberth (CUAMT) def. Sean Black/Troy Abbott (WES) 8-2
2. Joe Peters/Kyle Kramer (CUAMT) def. Brad Thomas/Mike Matisi (WES) 8-6
3. Ryan Carr/Marshall Finelli (WES) def. Joe Trinity/Conor Wilson (CUAMT) 8-1
About Westminster College...
Founded in 1852 and related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Westminster College ranks first in the nation as "Best College for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math," according to Forbes.com. Westminster is a top-tier liberal arts college and a national leader in graduation rate performance, according to U.S. News Best Colleges guide. Westminster is also honored as one of "The Best 377 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, and is named to the President's Honor Roll for excellence in service learning.
Nearly 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students benefit from individualized attention from dedicated faculty while choosing from 41 majors and nearly 100 organizations on the New Wilmington, Pa., campus. Visit www.westminster.edu/advantage to view "Advantage: Westminster" A Strategic Plan 2010-2020.