At Westminster, we operate on a rolling admissions policy, which means the sooner we receive your application, the sooner we can begin processing it. We encourage you to submit your application to the Admissions Office no later than fifteen days prior to the beginning of classes for the semester you are wishing to attend classes.
We have aimed to create a very "user friendly" and accommodating transfer process. But, the transfer process involves several different departments, so the sooner you begin the process the better your opportunity to have all of your questions answered in a timely manner.
The Admissions Decision - How We Decide
Our decision is based primarily on your performance in college, but we are also interested in your talents, hobbies, and involvement in extracurricular activities. A minimum 2.5 (on a 4.0 grading scale) cumulative college grade point average is required. We also look at high school performance and standardized test scores (SAT or ACT).
After we receive a complete list of courses taken and courses in progress, our registrar will review your records and determine which credits will transfer. In order for a credit to transfer the following must occur:
- You must have a "C-" or better in the class
- Courses to be transferred must be in disciplines comparable to those offered at Westminster College
- When we receive your final transcripts, you will be sent a final evaluation of credit from the registrar
- You will be assigned an academic adviser who will recommend a program of study for your future semesters at Westminster
Upon your transfer to Westminster, you will need to fulfill the following credit requirements:
- A minimum of 64 credits are required to be taken at Westminster College
- A minimum of 16 credits are required within the department to which you are transferring
- Successful completion of Westminster's Intellectual Perspective core requirements (transferred classes may fulfill these requirements)
- Successful completion of Westminster's Health & Wellness requirements (transferred classes may fulfill these requirements)
- Successful completion of Westminster's Cluster Course requirement
Over 80% of our students receive some type of Financial Aid. Aid may come from one or more of the following: scholarships, grants, work-study or loans. To be considered for financial Aid:
- Apply for admissions to the College and indicate that you would like to be considered for financial aid on the application
- You must file a FAFSA form
- Complete and return the Westminster College Application for Financial Aid
- It is strongly recommended that you schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Office
- Financial Aid will not be awarded without the receipt of your OFFICIAL college/university transcript
At Westminster we operate on a rolling admissions policy. That means the sooner we receive your application, the sooner we will be able to begin processing it. As you prepare your application materials please keep the following in mind:
- Send the completed application form and $35 application fee to the Admissions Office.
- Forward OFFICIAL transcripts from ALL colleges and universities that you have attended to the Admissions Office. IMPORTANT: Transcript(s) for all available course work should be submitted. In addition, an updated transcript including final grades for courses in progress should be sent as soon as it is available.
- Contact your high school to have an OFFICIAL transcript sent to Westminster. Have your high school include SAT and/or ACT scores
- Send college catalogs from all colleges/universities you have attended, or send copies of all course descriptions from the catalogs with information on all courses you have taken.
- Return the F.E.R.P.A. form directly to our office (this is a form that is proof of good standing at the college/university from which you intend to transfer). YOUR APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION WILL NOT BE PROCESSED UNTIL THIS FORM IS RECEIVED
- Return the College/University Faculty Recommendation directly to our office
- Deadline: Must receive application and materials at least 30 days prior to the beginning of entering semester
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I apply?
We have a rolling admissions policy, which means the sooner you apply the sooner you will hear of your status. Generally, the deadline for applying as a transfer student to Westminster College is 30 days prior to the start of classes for the semester in which you wish to begin.
Are there minimum requirements I have to have to transfer into Westminster College?
Yes, our recommended cumulative college grade point average for transfers is 2.50. We will also look at your high school grade point average and your SAT and/or ACT scores.
How do I know what classes will transfer?
The Registrar's Office will determine what college classes will transfer to Westminster. They take into consideration: where the courses were taken (if it is an accredited college/university), what the class is (does it compare to a class that is offered at Westminster), and what grade was received (it must be a "C-" or better). If all of those criteria are met, than in most cases the class will transfer.
How many classes do I have to take at Westminster?
As a transfer student you are required to take at least 64 credits on Westminster's campus, 16 of which are required within the major.
What scholarships are available for transfer students?
The same Merit Based scholarships that are available for students applying right out of high school are available for transfer students. Scholarships ranging from $6,000 to $10,000 may be awarded based on both high school and post-secondary academic performance. However, Financial Aid will not be awarded without the receipt of your OFFICIAL college/university transcript. Any questions concerning Financial Aid can be directed to the Financial Aid Office.
When can I register for classes?
You can register for classes after being accepted as a transfer student and paying a $200 non-refundable deposit to the Admissions Office. A special time period is set aside for transfer registration during the summer (prior to the start of the Fall Semester) and the month of January (prior to the start of the Spring Semester).
Is housing available?
Yes, Westminster College is a residential campus and housing is available for transfer students. Housing information will be sent to you directly, after we have received your $200 non-refundable deposit. Any questions concerning housing can be directed to our Student Affairs Office.
What else do I need to know about the transfer process?
It is important to make sure you have all of your application materials into the Admissions Office in a timely manner. We cannot process your application without your official college/university transcript or your F.E.R.P.A. form. We want to help you through the transfer process and make the transition to Westminster College an easy one. Please feel free to contact us in the Westminster Admissions Office if you have any questions