The focus of the IQ STEM grant is to use experiential learning and increased practicum experiences to improve the quality of secondary STEM educators. A goal of the Noyce program is to recruit individuals with strong STEM backgrounds who might otherwise not have considered a career in K-12 teaching. Ideal candidates demonstrate academic leadership characteristics as well as a desire to increase their knowledge of mathematics, science, and/or education.
Prospective Noyce Scholars must complete an application, which includes: (a) three recommendations, (b) an essay, (c) transcripts indicating minimum GPA of 3.0. Strong applicants will be invited to interview with the selection committee.
- For each year of support, Noyce Scholars will be committed to two years of teaching in an area of high need.
- Students must be enrolled as a major in a STEM (Science Technology, Engineering and Math) discipline.
- Students do not need to be currently enrolled as secondary education minors to apply but must begin the required coursework and add the minor once selected for the program.
- Students must engage in a pedagogical research project during their junior and senior year.
Benefits of the IQ:STEM Program
- $15,000.00 grant for tuition, room, and board during their junior and senior year. NOTE: acceptance of this scholarship may impact your overall financial aid package; contact the finical aid office with specific questions.
- Stipends to attend a conference in the area of discipline: (a) $1500.00 to attend a conference in the Noyce Scholars junior year and (b) $1500.00 to present at a conference in the Noyce Scholars senior year.
- Stipend to cover the cost of certification tests and application fees for teacher certification (up to $500)
- Stipend to assist with a Teachers Workshop in the summer ($ 2000)
Applications are Due OCTOBER 1st 2014 at 5PM
Completed applications may be emailed to:
OR hand delivered/mailed to:
Noyce Scholarship Committee, c/o Karen Resendes
New Wilmington, PA 16172
Contact Dr. Resendes at 724-946-7211 firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding your application.
Further information regarding the IQ:STEM program, including application materials, details on scholar benefits and upcoming events can be found on My Westminster.