Skip to main content

Lifelong Learning

Starting or Completing an Undergraduate Degree in the Lifelong Learning Program

About the Program

At Westminster, students find academic rigor, faculty who are personally interested in and available for students, a focus on learning and service, and a beautiful campus with modern teaching facilities - all in a comfortable small-town environment.  Westminster is a place where students thrive as they achieve their goals.

Westminster College's Lifelong Learning Program (LLP) has helped adult students start or complete a college degree since 1975.  Hundreds of students have accomplished this important life achievement. 

LLP students bring their life experiences and worldviews to the classroom and are valued members of the Westminster learning community.

LLP students can take daytime classes on campus. LLP students can select from 41 majors offered at Westminster, and receive a reduced tuition rate for each course.

Admission into Westminster's LLP Program will be considered when the application, essay, $35 non-refundable application fee, and all required documents (high school and college transcripts) are received by the Adult and Graduate Studies Office.

For more information, please contact the Adult and Graduate Studies Office by email or phone (724) 946-7353.  You may also call toll-free at 1-888-378-2779 or send a FAX to (724) 946-6351.



Degree Completion

Although some Lifelong Learning (adult) students begin their college studies at Westminster, many started college after high school but for various reasons did not finish.  Both groups, however, want to achieve a life goal - that of completing their bachelor's degree.

To apply, students must provide official transcripts from high school (or GED completion) and all colleges attended, whether or not credit was earned.  Credit can be awarded for work taken at regionally accredited college and universities in courses graded C- or higher that are also evaluated as equivalent to courses offered at Westminster.  Students can also receive credit by examination from CLEP, ACT-PEP, Advanced Placement, and the armed services.

To obtain a baccalaureate degree from Westminster College, students must complete 124 semester hours.  Regardless of how many credits a student may transfer from another institution, a minimum of 64 semester hours must be completed at Westminster College.  Of these 64, at least 16 must be in the student's major.


How do I Register?

Continuing LLP students can register for classes by calling, stopping in, faxing, or emailing the Graduate School and Adult Studies with their course selections.  If they have any uncertainty about what classes to take, students should make an appointment well in advance of the college's scheduled registration times.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Lifelong Learning Program?

The Lifelong Learning Program is an adult education program designed for adult learners who wish to start or complete their college degree, earn teacher certification, or take individual college credit courses for personal or professional enrichment.

Am I considered an adult student?

In general, adult students are those students 23 years of age or older who have not lived on any campus for the past 9 months.  They must also have a high school diploma or GED.

Am I receiving the same type of degree as an undergraduate student?

Yes.  The Lifelong Learning Program features the same courses and majors as those in the traditional Westminster College undergraduate curriculum, and courses are taught by Westminster faculty members.

Do I have to start and/or finish all course work at Westminster?

No.  You do not need to start or finish all course work at Westminster.  We have a number of degree-completion students who started their course work elsewhere or who simply want to take a course or two.  You will still need to apply to Westminster, however.  Please see "How do I apply?" for further information.

I am nervous about returning to college. Can I really do this?

Take the words of one LLP student, Janet, who said, “[A] strength of the LLP program is the strength, fortitude, and commitment of all the students in the LLP program.  We are driven and inspired to better ourselves."  As an adult, you have learned valuable skills that can translate into your success as a student.  And remember, the staff members of the Adult and Graduate Studies Office are available to help you navigate this transition.  Do not hesitate to call us at 724-946-7353 or send an email to

Why Westminster College?

At Westminster, adult students find academic rigor, faculty who are personally interested in and available for students, a focus on learning and service, and a beautiful campus with modern teaching facilities - all in a comfortable small-town environment.

How do I apply?

Adult students wishing to take a college credit course and/or pursue or complete their college degree at Westminster may apply for entrance consideration by completing all the steps listed on the Lifelong Learning Program application.  College entrance exams are not required.

Is financial aid available to me as an adult student?

Once you are admitted to Westminster College as a degree-seeking student, you can complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), available at Westminster's Financial Aid Office or online at  You may also want to inquire whether your employer offers financial assistance for education.  A student whose employer pays part or all of the employee's educational expenses must submit a $50 deposit and a company reimbursement form prior to the first day of class for each semester.  Additional information can be found on our Financial Information page or by contacting the Office of Financial Aid at 724-946-7102.