Tuesday, March 20, 2012
The Mathematics and Computer Science Department hosted its annual spring recognition and awards banquet on Tuesday, March 20, at 5:00 p.m. in the Witherspoon Lakeview Room.
The local chapter of Kappa Mu Epsilon, a specialized mathematics honor society for undergraduate students, helped to fund the event.
Opening comments were given by Dr. Terri Lenox, department chair. Following the dinner, departmental faculty recognized graduating seniors and Kappa Mu Epsilon officers and members. Departmental awards and scholarships were also presented.
In addition to Dr. Lenox, the following faculty members represented the department at the event: Mr. James Anthony, Dr. Jeffrey Boerner, Dr. John Bonomo, Dr. Carolyn Cuff, Dr. Natacha Fontes-Merz, Dr. David Offner, and Dr. Pamela Richardson.
Honored guests included Dr. Warren Hickman, Professor of Mathematics Emeritus and scholarship namesake; Mrs. Lucinda Hickman; and Dr. Beverly K. Michael ‘69, scholarship namesake for the Dr. Beverly K. Michael Math Education scholarship, which was presented for the first time this year.
RECOGNITION OF GRADUATING SENIOR MAJORS AND MINORS:
• Computer Science majors: Dylan Karas, Timothy Matyas
• Mathematics majors: Emily Dolsak, Joshua Glasser, Coty Hainsey, Andrew Kyrargyros, Rachel Legg, Richard Ligo, Robert Rhodes, Chelsea Schrock, Chelsea Wesp
• Computer Science minors: Joshua Glasser
• Information Systems Minors: Jared Mutschler
• Mathematics minors: William Armentrout, Dylan Karas, Timothy Matyas, John-Tyler Soltys
PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENTAL RECOGNITION AWARDS: Certificates were presented to each student who participated in one or more extracurricular professional events related to mathematics and computer science during the current academic year.
PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENTAL BOOK AWARDS:
• Computer Science Book Award: Jenna Huston
• Mathematics Book Award: Emily Walther
PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENTAL SCHOLARSHIPS:
• Paul E. Brown Memorial Scholarship: Morgan Swartz
• Dr. Warren D. Hickman Scholarship: Gregory Clark
• Dr. Beverly K. Michael Math Education Scholarship: Emily Walther and Kellie Amber Hill
• Dr. Thomas R. Nealeigh Mathematics Scholarship: Connor MacKenzie and Brandon Mosley
• J. Miller Peck Computer Science Scholarship: Anthony Caratelli
• Harriet Jackson Sarver Scholarship: Jenna Huston and Lisa Kaylor
• Nell Glaser Whipkey and Kenneth Whipkey Scholarship: Peter Barber