Thursday, March 31, 2011
The Mathematics and Computer Science Department hosted its annual spring recognition and awards banquet on Thursday, March 24, 2011, at 5:00 p.m. in the Witherspoon Lakeview Room.
Opening comments were given by Dr. Terri Lenox, department chair. Following the dinner, graduating seniors were recognized; Kappa Mu Epsilon officers, members, and 2011 inductees were recognized; and departmental recognition awards and scholarships were presented.
In addition to Dr. Lenox, the following faculty members represented the department at the event: Mr. James Anthony, Dr. Jeffrey Boerner, Dr. John Bonomo, Dr. Carolyn Cuff, Dr. Natacha Fontes-Merz, Dr. David Offner, and Dr. Pamela Richardson.
Honored guests included Dr. Warren Hickman, Professor of Mathematics Emeritus and scholarship namesake; Mrs. Lucinda Hickman; Mr. David Sarver '73, who attended the event in behalf of scholarship namesake Harriet Jackson Sarver '36; and Dr. Barbara Faires, Professor of Mathematics Emerita and secretary of the Mathematical Association of America.
The local chapter of Kappa Mu Epsilon, a specialized mathematics honor society for undergraduate students, helped to fund the event. Dr. Natacha Fontes-Merz is the KME faculty advisor. Please see 2011 program file below for a complete listing of KME officers, members, and 2011 inductees.
RECOGNITION OF GRADUATING SENIOR MAJORS AND MINORS:
• Computer Information Systems majors: Lance Leathers, Neil Pilarski
• Computer Science majors: Amanda Gentzel, Aaron Zavora
• Mathematics majors: Karina-Mikayla Barcus, Joshua Beckert,
Jonathan Bodle, Todd Changoway, Stephen Donnel, Rachael Hayden,
Erin Keck, Heather McQuiston, Megan Sherry, Aaron Zavora
• Information Systems minors: Todd Changoway
• Mathematics minors: Amanda Gentzel, Courtney Herdt, Danielle Struble, Patrick Zehnder
PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENTAL RECOGNITION AWARDS: Certificates were presented to each student who participated in one or more extracurricular professional events related to mathematics and computer science during the current academic year. A comprehensive listing of these names is given in the attached program file: 2011 program
PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENTAL BOOK AWARDS:
• Computer Science Book Award: Ryen Wilkins
• Mathematics Book Award: Lisa Kaylor
PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENTAL SCHOLARSHIPS:
• Paul E. Brown Memorial Scholarship: Robert Rhodes
• Dr. Thomas R. Nealeigh Mathematics Scholarship: Lisa Kaylor and Andrew Kieffer
• Dr. Warren D. Hickman Scholarship (awarded for the first time this year): Bethany Ekimoff
and David Tobias
• J. Miller Peck Computer Science Scholarship: Dylan Karas
• Harriet Jackson Sarver Scholarship: Emily Dolsak and Coty Hainsey
• Nell Glaser Whipkey and Kenneth Whipkey Scholarship: Anthony Caratelli