The School Superintendent Letter of Eligibility certifies the holder to be a school superintendent, intermediate unit executive director, and curriculum director, while also holding other positions of school leadership.
The School Superintendent Program is designed to develop those competencies for a school superintendent that will enable him or her to work with other professional personnel in designing and carrying out effective programs in elementary, middle, and secondary schools. These competencies are further developed under program approval guidelines that describe the role of the superintendent of schools in the following general areas:
- as an advocate for elementary, middle, and secondary education
- as an educational leader
- as an educational supervisor
- as a coordinator of relations among community and professional staff
- and as an executive manager.
School Superintendent Program studies are centered around research-oriented discussions, class and online activities, field experiences, personal study, and written work. Instructional certification and experience is a prerequisite.
The Superintendent Program meets School Superintendent certification requirements in Pennsylvania and is designed to meet Ohio Superintendent licensure requirements. The educational leadership programs were developed in accordance with the standards of the National Associations of Elementary and Secondary Principals and the American Association of School Administrators.
Requirements for School Superintendent Certification:
- Master's degree
- Valid K-12 School principal or supervisor certification
- at least 5 years experience as school leadership position
Additional coursework may be required of those who do not have a master's degree, the requisite certification, or other necessary competencies.
Successful completion of:
- 15 semester hours of coursework
- EAD 990: Internship - Superintendent (3 credit hours)
- Passing score on Praxis School Superintendent Assessment (For information on PA or OH Praxis requirements, visit www.ets.org/praxis/pa/requirements or www.ets.org/praxis/oh/requirements
Westminster's School Superintendent Program meets certification requirements in Pennsylvania. The program is designed to meet Ohio superintendent licensure requirements, but licensure is subject to changing Ohio standards, Ohio Department of Education ODE transcript analysis, and testing requirements. In some cases, additional coursework may be required to meet Ohio state standards.
For more detailed information on the School Superintendent Program, including individual course requirements, consult the Graduate Program in Educational Leadership Handbook.