ART DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT
FINE ARTS: The Fine Art Major is designed to meet the needs of students who are interested in pursuing study in a variety of artistic areas.
MEDIA ARTS: The Media Art major is designed for students who wish to pursue their artistic interests through media technology. Media Art students experience interdisciplinary studies that include public relations, visual communications, and business courses. Majors are required to complete 48 hours in their major plus an additional 12 to 16 hours of courses outside their major for a total of 60 to 64 semester hours. Media art majors are advised to declare their major by the beginning of the sophomore year.
Art Department- Student Learning Objectives
- Students should have experiences that prepare them to generate, identify, and solve aesthetic problems.
- Students will acquire experiences and understanding of the art elements, (line, shape, color, texture, value, etc.), and principles of design.
- Students will explore and become aware of the content of art, which is the idea or thought behind the work.
- Students will have regular opportunities to develop their observational skills and analytical thinking to create innovative works of art.
- Through the art making processes, students will have ample opportunities to manipulate a wide variety of materials, (clay, painting media, photography, graphics).
- Through the process of reflection, students will learn how to create works of art based upon the experiences of their own lives.
The studio critique is the primary means of faculty and student assessments.
Faculty directed group and private critique
Student directed presentations
Written evaluations by faculty/students
Exams and quizzes are administered to determine a student’s technical competencies dealing with specific processes of art making.
Students will complete a Senior Studies capstone course. In this course each student will:
Students are required to define an aesthetic problem for themselves and determine their own goals for its production.
Students will participate in the development of an art exhibit featuring their work, which includes organizing and installing the exhibition. This includes designing all promotional materials.
Students will give a public presentation of their Senior Thesis Show.
Students will create a portfolio that includes slides of their work, artist statement and resume